Abolish the electoral college

The above petition is getting about 1000 signatures a minute.

It occurs to me that this is an instance in which demonstrations might be effective. Mass demonstrations coupled with appeals to the electors could have an impact.

well, you proved that you read part of the piece, and ignored the overwhelmingly fantastic reason why we have it.

perhaps that’s because it supports your hatred of corruption, providing one way to avoid it.

but please carry on, your idiotic rant is worth a 9.5 for execution and 1.0 for reason.

Well, Joseph, your hatred of blacks has been firmly established over the years, so I can see how you would call this a fantastic reason for the EC.

Madison knew that the North would outnumber the South, despite there being more than half a million slaves in the South who were their economic vitality, but could not vote. His proposition for the Electoral College included the “three-fifths compromise,” where black people could be counted as three-fifths of a person, instead of a whole. This clause garnered the state 12 out of 91 electoral votes, more than a quarter of what a president needed to win.

“None of this is about slaves voting,” said Finkelman, who wrote a paper on the origins of the Electoral College for a symposium after Gore lost. “The debates are in part about political power and also the fundamental immorality of counting slaves for the purpose of giving political power to the master class.”

He said the Electoral College’s three-fifths clause enabled Thomas Jefferson, who owned more than a hundred slaves, to beat out in 1800 John Adams, who was opposed to slavery, since the South had a stronghold.

550,000 people have signed this since I posted it 7 hours ago. LMAO. It’s gonna be a bumpy, bumpy road for theDonald.

1 Like

Woah woah woah!

Are you saying the electoral college folks haven’t voted and it’s their vote that actually decides the presidency meaning Hillary could still win and Trump could still lose?

Kind of, sort of, yes, but not really, maybe. It could happen.

These things are mostly left up to the Parties, but mostly the States, and the rules start getting very gray very fast. For the most part the Electors have usually just along according the rules and customs of their individual states, but when the injun up in Washington announced that he would not be casting his vote for Hillary no matter what, everyone looked around and said “Oh shit, we can’t stop him”

I understand that it won’t but it could because it’s ultimately their vote that counts, correct?

As I understand it, yes, because that is a large part of the orignial reasoning behind having the “Electors” to begin with, if they should decide the popular winner was actually a flim flim man, a carny, a cheap hustler that had hoodwinked the good citizens back home, then it was up to them the elector to vote for the better Candidate.

So much for “We the People…”

“…who are not to be trusted”

“We the people” voted for Clinton.

1 Like

The petition is almost at 3.8 million. More than a million have signed since I posted it yesterday.

just sayin!

1 Like

I’m guessing even if something radical like electors defecting happened Hillary would not serve. She’s conceded and I could not see her rescinding or serving under such terms. The backlash from something like that would be much worse the backlash were seeing now. Add that to the GOP controlled Congress and her time in office would be futile. She knows that.

1 Like

You’re probably right. it would be a powder keg in front of a fireplace. But fuck these fucking fuckers. We need to do something about this electoral college horseshit.

1 Like

It is bullshit.

1 Like

It could just be post election euphoria that will calm down, but the pro Trump crowd is wound up pretty tight, I can’t quite believe the rage and indignation their displaying over the kids protesting the election, it’s like the 8 years of bullshit they threw at Obama and Michelle never happened,

2 Likes

God, that is so true. The hypocrisy is just astounding.

1 Like

1 Like