Carrots

Just pulled about 5-6lbs of carrots and pulled about a lb of them last week, will post a pic later. I planted about 1/3 of a 4x8 bed with carrots which also had a tomato plant and a couple peppers growing in the same spot. The bed wasn’t very deep though, next year I’m planting some carrots in some deeper beds for longer better shaped carrots. I’m thinking skin, chop and freeze most of these.

Man that bed is full of stinging nettle too, got me good.

2 Likes

mmm love fresh picked carrots!

Sounds like they are easy to grow. I planted potatoes for the.first time this year. I don’t really know.when they’re ready for harvest.

Really easy to grow. I waited until the vines died back on my potatoes and dug some up last week still have some more to dig up. The potatoes and the carrots are like the tomatoes, way better than the shit at the store.

Oh, I see. I guess they’re ready in that case. Thx

I only got a few potatoes per vine, seemed like a low yield to me, not sure why, maybe all the rain this year. They are nice potatoes though.

We.just threw them.in a pot to try it out. I’ll have to harvest some and.see what they’re like.

Here’s my carrots I forgot to post the other day. Having some with dinner, I planted some more today in a deeper box, but don’t know if I’ll get any more before winter. This is what happens when you just scatter a bunch of carrot seeds in a shallow box… some of them get bigger, some of them don’t get very big, none of them get very long…

Here’s the carrot patch before I pulled it.

Here’s a couple of the little Sugar Baby personal sized watermelons I grew, I only got 5 of them. Had one the other night and it was great, picked another one today.

How deep was the soil that they were planted in?

probably only about 4 inches deep before they hit the cardboard over the grass.

Oh, yeah…I see.

Probably they need at least a foot of soil beneath the spot the seed lands. But heck, my gardening has involved trial and error.

Next time you know. The foliage from the carrots is attractive though. Pretty plant.

Yeah about a foot probably but 7-8 inches would probably work well for most types. I just wanted to plant some but that was the only place I really had open when I was doing so. Still got about 6lbs total counting the ones I’d picked a week before. Last year I planted some directly in the ground and they were a real pain to dig up, in the raised bed I can just pull most of them up.