D-Day Diary

Bill Sr was there.

My grandfather’s secret D-Day journal

3 Likes

How come the landing craft weren’t equipped with antiaircraft guns shooting through a slit in the craft’s front? Inquiring minds want to know.

It’s fucking astounding that idea came into yer head and ya did not chase it away immediately

I admit that I have no military experience(have at it) but I think that it is something to think about. Those German pillboxes were responsible for the slaughter of almost 9,000 allied troops on D-Day.

Even a ‘landing’ craft specifically designed and dedicated for assault use would be useful…IMHO. It could be stabilized.

Be Creative boys.

So let me get this straight - fucking 15 inch guns from the battleships did not have much effect, but guns in a bobbing up and down ocean that had a life expectancy of 5 minutes would.

You shud pose that question on quora

https://www.quora.com/

There’s some good stuff on quora, but jeepers everyday it seems like another 12 year old is asking "Who would win in a bar fight, an Army Ranger or a Navy Seal? or Could a Delta Operator beat up a Spetznats guy?

No one is really asking that - they jus make it up to get hits

If you ask a Road Pavement question there and see what happens, then what do you do?

1 Like

A story on Q where this guy took in a stray cat

couple days later the cat is on the roof
so he get a ladder and carefully gets the cat

5 minutes later the cat is on the roof and he sez the hell with ya
2 minutes later the cat followed him in the house

I had a small cat that would jump from the top of my car to the rafters in the garage - 7 fucking feet straight up - first time I got her

second time she found her own way down - I knew she ready to come in when I heard her hit the car roof

then she her way into the soffit and and use to go around the house till I blocked it

Many landing craft did have guns. The ubiquitous LCVP had a couple of machine guns. The LCG and LCR Were mods of the basic LCT to carry various forms of beach bombardment weaponry, and the LCT itself usually had a couple of 20mm guns. LSTs has even more direct firepower.

The problems were twofold:

1: every LCT modified meant one fewer to land troops and vehicles. There were never enough boats.

2: as someone pointed out already, fire support from flat-bottom landing craft was inevitably inaccurate.

Essayons

So, when you were learning military theory you weren’t taught to duck when you see the flash of those 15 inch guns, the flash can be seen many seconds before the projectile arrives. Duh.

1 Like

How refreshing! Thank you for your erudite and informative post.:slightly_smiling_face:

The engineers had several years to figure out how to stabilize those landing craft. The water level wasn’t any more than 5 or 10 feel. Why couldn’t metal tubes be placed at the corners of these craft, tubes that could be raised and lowered(tubes inside of corner tubes) as needed?

Like they did not have anything else to do

Yeah, that’s right, they were busy with those floating tanks.:rofl: