D_M's Health Update

Sorry to bother you with this this bullshit, but I may not be posting much after today.

The last 4 days have been the worst since this all started back in November. The chemo and radiation is taking a tremendous toll on me. I haven’t eaten in 5 days now and am having trouble keeping anything down due to both the pain in my esophagus and nausea … even a few sips of water. The problem with that is… since I can’t keep water down I can’t keep any of the pain or nausea meds down. I puke them up almost immediately. My oncologist gave me a suppository for nausea medication and a sublingual pain med and I’ll see how that goes. I am vomiting about 50 times a day now… mostly mucous and water… which gives me about 30 minutes of relief.

As it is now, food is the farthest thing from my mind. I am dying of thirst though. I drink ice cold water just because I crave it so badly… knowing it’s going to be extremely painful and will mostly be coming right back up. I’m literally having dreams of guzzling water from half frozen milk jugs or kneeling over a snow fed stream guzzling water. If the suppository and sublingual’s don’t help, I’m going to have to have my wife take me to UC or ER for a 12 hour hydration drip and maybe the dreaded feeding tube.

I’m so desperate for a drink, I stopped by a 7-11 and bought a fukking banana Slurpee. I’m going to try to eat a little bit of this lovely frozen concoction if it takes all day.

1 Like

Shit, DM. I am really, really sorry to hear that. Maybe the drip and tube can see you through till the chemo starts having benefits?

I am praying for you. I hope to see you posting soon that you’re feeling better.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

And do not ever be sorry about posting updates.

4 Likes

I am really sorry you have to be going through this, DM. I have found it disturbing to know of your struggle. Know that I am rooting for you, man. :cry:

5 Likes

Sucks man, hang in there, you could mix the RSO with a little coconut oil, chill it so it’s solid and use it as a suppository too… might even be more effective than eating it.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about all that D_M and what L_B said

Hope you get by this bad patch soon

4 Likes

Pulling for you

3 Likes

Stay strong Friend that chemo and radiation is powerful stuff and will kick a guys ass,

Please keep us in the loop if you are at all up for it…

6 Likes

This is the hardest part DM. Don’t try to be strong by enduring the pain. Make your doctors help you! You don’t deserve to suffer.

7 Likes

Thanks, guys. It’s means a lot to me.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning that Billdo. In my semi delirious state I completely forgot about that as an option. The RSO was helping a lot and I haven’t been able to get it down anymore. I’m going to try it.

4 Likes

Today’s dinner. Mmmm… mmmmmm…good. 1 litre of water infusion and a Fenatyl patch.

Packed a bag this morning and told my wife to drive me to the hospital. I told her I wasn’t planning on coming home until I got some significant relief even if it meant a few days in ICU.

The palliative care doctor took one look at me and asked me how long since I ate or drank anything. I told him a week with no food and I was battling to keep down about 10 ounces of water a day. He immediately set me up for a 2 litre hydration drip in his office and ordered a feeding tube insertion tomorrow morning… about a 6 hour procedure at the Ontario hospital. From there they will deliver the IV equipment and then schedule a home health RN to get us going and trained on the feeding process.

My doctor was kind of shaken and told me I would have lasted about 4 or 5 more days until my organs started failing had I not come in.

Fun times. Don’t ever get cancer friends.

6 Likes

Fuck. I am so glad to hear you went in. Here’s to getting some real relief.

2 Likes

Thank you for finally going in and getting some help!

I hope they get you comfortable ASAP.

3 Likes

Are you home, now, DM? I hope tomorrow is not too awful.

:fingers crossed

2 Likes

I am happy you can get at least some relief. They probably should have given the feeding tube earlier though I know it won’t be a fun experience…

I’m praying for you every day.

3 Likes

How did it go, @D_M? I hope as painlessly as possible.

:heart:

2 Likes

It’s very frustrating reading your posts, I can’t believe that they can’t do more to help you. We are all pulling for you.

3 Likes

So how much for a couple of those Fentanyl patches? Can you ship UPS?

I’m glad you got some strong stuff and hope you aren’t suffering. Hope you’re getting some rest, sleep, hydration and some sort of food/nutrition somehow.

4 Likes

ditto

3 Likes