Election homework for my students

They watched the CNN town halls with Jill and Gary. Then I made them watch the Hill the Shill and Trump the Stump debate. Overwhelmingly, my students believed that the debate would have been more informative and intelligent had it been a four-way debate.

1 Like

How does that prepare them for the future - be the fuck better off learning how to do something fucking worthwhile

Well, I think you are overstepping your boundaries by referring to them like cartoon characters. Teachers should be non-partisan in the classroom.

1 Like

I agree, fuck critical thinking skills, they should just stick to memorizing Bible Verses!

2 Likes

So must of yer students are fucked up in the head then?

Yes. I;ve got all of my student referring to them as Hill the Shill and Trump the Stump! Hahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

You’re teaching over there in the OC… right? I’m sure they’re all big TRUMP 2016 fans anyway.

No. This semester I’m only in LA. One school has a large African American/Latino population, the other is majority Latino. They fucking despise the Donald. The hate is seismic.

3 Likes

Are you teaching a politics class?

No. I am teaching them to read/and or watch things and respond in writing to things they read and/or watch. It can be anything --my choice. First six weeks: the election. Next five weeks, Nicholas Carr’s The Shallows. Last five weeks: haven’t decided yet.

1 Like

Oh, in two of my classes they’re also reading The Communist Manifesto.

1 Like

Not as election homework, surely. They’d be better off reading Alinsky.

1 Like

No. They’re done with the election paper now. I was forced to choose between a few anthologies. I chose one that is not published by Pearson because they are doing really shitty things to education and they are cornering the market on academic texts – I won’t go into it here. The anthology I chose happens to have three essays on class issues. One by Reich, one by Galbraith, and the Manifesto. We’re reading all three. Nothing by Alinsky in there.

Alright, if you insist.

1 Like