Geraldo, thou dost protest too much

Out of everyone who is talking about Matt Lauer, Geraldo Rivera may be the most complimentary.

The former “Today” show co-anchor’s good friend and fellow reporter thinks the NBC vet’s firing in light of recent sexual misconduct accusations is uncalled for and he’s making no bones about it.

“Sad about @MLauer great guy, highly skilled & empathetic w guests & a real gentleman to my family & me,” Rivera tweeted Wednesday afternoon. “News is a flirty business & it seems like current epidemic of #SexHarassmentAllegations may be criminalizing courtship & conflating it w predation.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/geraldo-rivera-defends-matt-lauer-calls-journalism-flirty-005846373.html

2 Likes

geraldo rivera talking about courtship lol, didn’t he once write a book bragging about the hundreds of women he’d banged?

2 Likes

He’s undoubtedly the one conflating courtship and predation.

Jeez, of all the people I can THINK of Geraldo is the one who MOST NEEDS to keep his fukkin head down.

2 Likes

So Harvey Weinstein was simply courting the woman that he is accused of raping. Riiight

LOLOLOL ~sigh~

1 Like

Bette Midler Accused Geraldo Rivera of Groping Her in a 1991 Interview With Barbara Walters
Bette Midler once told Barbara Walters that Geraldo Rivera had groped her in the 1970s

1 Like

I groped myself the other day, was that wrong?

If you pushed that automatic door lock button on your desk and trapped a 20-something intern in the room with you, then, yes, that was wrong. Otherwise, have at it.

I disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4mGrNGuJTM

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the thread that I wanted so…

Some of these issues are difficult to comment on simply because there are so many men with different characters from different cultures who have very different perceptions and attitudes. About 50% of the men that I have known genuinely like women and enjoy their company. The other 50% have a very stereotypical understanding of women and see them primarily as sex objects, not as friends as well.

For example: A guy that I used to know said to me once “I really like taking a date to the movies, you can just watch the movie, you don’t even have to take to them.” Unbelievable.:grin:

By the way, women loved him. He was tall, dark and handsome. He was also charismatic, primarily because he didn’t know how ignorant he was.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. 50% is a really high number. That makes me weep, right along with Jesus.

PS, the ultimate goal is for women to be seen as friends without being seen as sex objects at all, because, the thing is, a woman simply cannot sleep with every man who sees her as a sex object. It’s nice to have friends who don’t make that even a small piece of the equation.

1 Like

That’s why I hang around with gay men.

1 Like

That is always a good alternative.