Guitar

That’s a little steep for me.

No pain no gain…

Don;t be a light weight, Jimi practised when he was taking a dump

up way too late looking at guitars… got my eye on a nice Ibanez Blazer on ebay but if that falls through I might try to save up some Payal and get me an old

or a

How do you guys “store” your guitars?

in the case

@E_Normus_Johnson You know anything about these GRECO guitars? They look awesome…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-GRECO-EG-500-Les-Paul-Standard-Red-Sunburst-1978-Japan-Vintage-Guitar-/122212954923

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-OFFER-PRICE-GRECO-SE500-STRAT-MADE-IN-JAPAN-VINTAGE-PRE-JV-ERA-/132109616220

If I had the money in my Paypal it would be mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greco-TE-380-MIJ-c-1970-VG-condition-Japanese-vintage-semi-hollow-w-GB-/332127849197

That’s a beautiful guitar.

You can go a long way with 45 to 60 minute sessions twice a day.

The downside of the SG style guitar is the weakness of the “set neck” joint which is trouble-prone, and the weakness of the headstock just above the nut, common to nearly all mahogany-necked Gibsons. The upside, which is huge, is the mahogany body and how it works with good humbucking pickups. And they are making them again all over the pacific rim.

The reason some people are still willing to pay a fortune for a vintage SG is that the mahogany was always from Central or South America and just had better acoustic properties than most of the Pacific Rim mahoganies. But I’ve played a few '62 and '63 SGs, not even plugged in, that you could hear and love from across the room.

It’s the case with any solidbody guitar, that the better it sounds unplugged the better it will sound plugged. That’s why you should always play it both ways before you buy it.

1 Like

I doubt if I get an SG, they look nice though… I’m looking at the vintage Greco strats and les paul copies

These Japanese guys have taken over the vintage ebay guitar market it looks like… back in the 90’s our bass player sold his old Fender mustang bass while we were over there. They gave him pretty good money for it and a cheap replacement bass to play. Then he hooked up with this Japanese chick and started taking suitcases of guitars over there to sell. He’d take the necks off and put them back together when he got there.

I just bought a new Ibanez GRX20ZBKN Electric Guitar and Fender Champion 40 watt amp on eBay yesterday. Yeah, it’s cheap beginners shit, but I’m going to try one more time to learn how to play now that I’m on disability and have a lot of time on my hands.

3 Likes

Misspent youth part deux?

:thumbsup:

1 Like

If you want to play like Hendrix just drop too much acid like Frank Marino did, you’ll come out of it with miraculous guitar skills.

2 Likes

I bought this one off ebay about 13 years ago (didn’t realize I’d had it that long) needed a guitar with a whammy bar for a few songs, $99… says RG270… it’s junky compared to my Merican Standard Tele and the tremolo doesn’t stay in tune that well…

Here’s my telecaster, it’s in pretty rough shape and could use an overhaul. I haven’t taken it out of its case in at least 2 years and it’s still in tune.

3 Likes

I have a Korean Squire Strat POS I bought in the late 80s that couldn’t stay in tune from the start. I could tune it for open chords, and bar chords would be out. And vice versa. It probably needs bridge/saddle work but I have no idea how and I never got around to having it done.

Yeah my intonation is out a little, it needs new bridge saddles (the little hex wrench screws are completely obliterated from sweat… and the springs and screws behind the saddle are all rusted out, so I can’t set the intonation up until I replace all that shit… The chrome pieces are all starting to corrode too.

I have a Squire mini that I bought for my son. He never plays it though.

Anyone ever play with a Charvel?