How Amazon is screwing the USA

I can not even tell you how boring and trite that sort of comment is. It’s why I prefer something real, like what you had for dinner - something on which you can speak authoritatively.

Trite and boring?

Wow. You are a bona fide tool. A blind one at that.

I believe his point was that people are handed opinions from all sorts of sources including “hipsters” and comedians rather than just being given the facts so they can make up their own minds.

Again, I made it very clear I was excusing myself from the insult of you.

No, he clearly addressed it to ME. And you know that.

Could you say something I haven’t been hearing for the last 4 or 5 decades? Good god - you act like this is all amazing new information and perspective. It isn’t.

And I CLEARLY said if it wasn’t smattered with the insult of you I would agree with him. I also know you know that “would” expresses condition. So yes, I did know exactly what he said and excused myself from the insult of you. So before you launch off into a tirade of utter bullshit in my direction try not completely ignoring half of what I write.

Information doesn’t have to be new for it to be relevant. Are you really that ignorant?

I’m much more concerned about your latest frock coat or hiking boots than I am about the total destruction of democracy and the middle class. Your frock coat has much greater impact on me than my paycheck and my kids’ futures, after all.

There is no way that post could have not been about me. It was in response to what I believe and posted about. He called me an idiot, basically, and you agreed. There’s no way to weasel out of it. Saying “people” who think that are idiots is the same as saying I’m an idiot, because I think it. Sheeeesh.

It doesn’t matter, though. I’ve known what you think of me since your first day here.

Well - be that as it may, I’d like to know what you’re wearing.

He looks like a midget alien.

Let me make this more clear for you - YOU ARE WRONG.

I hate Sunday mornings, mostly for the sadness I feel in reading threads like this one.

Anyway, Amazon is a far greater threat than WalMart ever was. Jeff Bezos sells more than 50% of EVERYTHING ordered online, he owns Whole Foods and the Washington Post (does anyone see a problem with that besides me?), and he has a 600 million dollar deal with the CIA. God knows how many independent businesses have shuttered thanks to him. Additionally, he abuses and underpays his employees, and, at a net worth of $127 billion, is the richest man in the history of the world.

People’s refusal to acknowledge the danger inherent in all this, and in the laws that have allowed it to happen, reminds me of the “teachers” in the Obedience to Authority study. We are a nation of tools.

1 Like

It not that we don’t see it. It’s “WTF can we do about it?”

Really?

Well I already don’t shop at Whole Foods or buy the WP or order much from Amazon.

I just read recently that online sales make up very little in terms of actual retail. I saw far more stores shutter locally because of Walmart coming in than I ever did from Amazon. We couldn’t stop them either and we tried.

That’s not true. Here in LA, at least, protests by local residents prevented a WalMart from going in. These things are possible, if more people wake up and take a stand instead of sitting back and saying, “We can’t do anything. Now let me buy another frock coat.”

Oh we fought something fierce to have them not bring in the Walmart here. We told them it would kill local businesses and it did. Now it’s pretty much the only game in town but “I told you so” doesn’t get them the fuck out of the place. Now they offer groceries and compete with our local grocery providers. The argument that they “create jobs” is thrown around but now that so many other businesses have gone up, they’re starting to see the problem but the shift has been made. Those businesses are not coming back.

That sucks. But you still could put WalMart out of business if enough people boycotted them.

But if they boycotted them at this point, there would be no place to buy anything. They closed out all the other department stores as well.