How particular

Am I/Boeing.

Noticed a little .01" depth scratch on this hydraulic module I’m installing.

Nope. Not good. Here I am blending it out. I’ll have to alodine it after, but that’s okay.

Wish other people here would have as much pride as I do in their job.

1 Like

Did some investigations… turns out the original bolt is obsolete, replaced with the wrong bolt and motor the bolt that supersedes it. The “wrong bolt”, required a larger socket thus scratching the edge margin of the part. Wrote the engineer to get the job, drawing, and bill of materials fixed to prevent this issue.

I’m patting myself on the back now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on you, I’m going to call your Shop Steward and make sure there’s a little something in your next pay envelope for you.

On that note, my buddy designed a tool and got rewarded $50 :man_shrugging:

Now THAT is generous. How much will Boeing save with this tool?

I used to take my old collectible GM stuff (when I was in the Old Car Hobby) to a shop operated by an old fart who’d worked for years for the local Chevy dealership (this was back in the 90’s before he retired.) He was helpful cause he KNEW shit I didn’t know. I took a 67 Corvair coupe to him cause the O-ring seals on the pushrod tubes were leaking and it was all covered by an engine shroud that was part of the heating system, and the serpentine belt was involved in getting the shroud off, due to the big ass crank pulley on top of the engine. (It was an air-cooled flat six OHV.) .

Turned out that getting that pulley off was an hour and a half “book time” but Old Gene had MADE his own tool and shared it with the dealership that made the pulley removal a 12 minute job, a savings which they never passed on to any customers or rewarded Gene for. So when he left the dealership he took HIS tool with him.

Can’t even tell you how pleased he was to see my Corvair, 25 years old, and needing his tool.

3 Likes

So let me explain the thing, lol

“Blankets”, IE moisture barriers that go behind the walls on the plane to separate the structure from passenger compartment. The design is to keep water/condensation between the structure and blankets so they overlap and a rip completely negates the design. So they’re fixed on by brackets and everything is sealed yada yada, well the only way to get them on is to stuff them onto these abrasive, spikey brackets that have a disc and felt that secures it on. The hole for the felt is around 1/4" wide “tunnel” about 2" long and it rips the inside of it if you install incorrectly. He basically took everything out of a pen and slide that over the spike bracket, slide the blanket over the pen and pull the pen out. Boom. No blanket damage.

1 Like

Poinh.