How to setup NordVPN or OpenVPN on an Amazon Fire TV Stick

Did you get it?

I see my PC name. If I hold down the firestick button I can get a green arrow selection on it. Beyond that I don’t see anything I can do to get into it

Yeah ES Explorer is kind of weird and it took some getting familiar with it I think just to learn how to access my PC! Keep trying I say, don’t give up, if you see your PC that’s good, you should be in it soon. lol

Thanks. I’ll update the thread if I figure out another way to do this in case someone else is running into issues

1 Like

Thanks, you’re always welcome to kill time here too, most people chat during the day/early evening… they’re all old and in bed by now.

It’s downloading the config files and setting up the VPN. I FTP’d into my firestick from my PC using its IP address and discovered that the config file was actually in the download folder. So even though ES File Explorer was giving me an error in the transfer, it actually worked. But only worked once because the date of the file is yesterday. All attempts today continued to fail for some reason. I doubt there is a setting that won’t replace an existing file that prevented today’s attempts from succeeding.

1 Like

Interesting, so you just used a regular FTP program like Filezilla and you were able to get into the Firestick?

From ES File Explorer: Network/Remote Manager. Select “turn on”. This will give you an IP address for the firestick. Just go to your PC and type that address into your address bar. Since you’re on the same network it will allow you to look into your firestick folders

1 Like

It’s not a true FTP. I can’t upload anything into the folders from the web but if you had an FTP app, this would provide you the IP address to use

1 Like

Thanks, I might try it sometime… I use Filezilla FTP for web servers, it’s free…

Do you recall where you chaned the VPN setting to always connect when it boots up? I scrolled through the settings and didn’t notice it

I looked at a few FTP apps yesterday thinking I’d FTP the config file but they looked complicated

No but it’s definitely in the Open VPN settings, my tv is on the other side of the house or I’d go look.

Or at least in my version of it.

Thanks. Found it. I was actually looking in the Edit part of the completed download file thinking we had to change the settings in there. How do you check to see if you’re really connected. Didn’t see the same options as the PC for picking a counter router and a validation of being connected

To check your IP it’s in your firestick Settings somewhere, I forget offhand, the same place that you got your IP address of your firestick I think, it should have a different IP than your network if the VPN is working…

It’s odd. Open VPN gives me the option to disconnect leading me to believe I’m connected. But the IP address hasn’t changed. rebooting the firestick didn’t change the IP.

I’ve checked mine a few times and it’s always working. So you powered off the firestick? Ours is hooked into our TV USB and I think shutting down the television and turning it back on reboots it.

Also maybe check out some of the settings more in Open VPN around the same area that you set it start up automatically.

You have to be really close to having it working!

Yeah I’m getting an error when I try to connect now. Cannot resolve host address. No address associated with host name. May need to load a new config file

1 Like