HUGE development in Artificial Intelligence

Truly hair-raising in its implications.

“This would be akin to a robot being given access to thousands of metal bits and parts, but no knowledge of a combustion engine, then it experiments numerous times with every combination possible until it builds a Ferrari. That’s all in less time that it takes to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy.”

1 Like

What is Stockfish?

A friend of mine showed me her app which allows her to place her kids on a map so she knows their exact location at all times. When all of our jobs have been automated and we’re all living in camps, we can spend all day checking on the location of each and every person we know, and/or watching two computers play chess.

From the article at the link:

“Stockfish, which for most top players is their go-to preparation tool, and which won the 2016 TCEC Championship and the 2017 Chess.com Computer Chess Championship, didn’t stand a chance.”

IOW, Stockfish WAS the leading chess engine in existence prior to this tourney.

1 Like

One wonders if this will help make Chess more fun.

1 Like

Six calls bullshit

100 processors against ten and stockfish denied opening and closing books

try to keep up

Yer telling me that SF could net even draw - I don’t fucking believe it

NOBODY had opening and closing books. Try and keep up.

For the rest…LINKY please.

So why should SF be denied all it’s resources

I will look for link later

I still call bullshit

Alpha did not win every game

you can run SF with lucas chess – FREE

I guarantee it will fucking lay waste to you

Thanks for weighing in. I can’t agree it’s bullshit because it is doing something radically different (a thing that isn’t possible unless you have the Google Cloud at your disposal.)

Here’s a good summary.

" The DeepMind team achieved a remarkable success with the Alpha Zero project. It showed that it is possible to use a Monte Carlo method to reach an enormous playing strength after only a short training period — if you use the Google Cloud with 5000 TPUs for training, of course!

Unfortunately, the comparison with Stockfish is misleading. The Stockfish program ran on a parallel hardware which is — if one understands Tore Romstad correctly — only of limited use to the program. It is not clear precisely how the hardware employed ought to be compared. The match was played without opening book and without endgame tablebases, which both are integral components of a program like Stockfish. The chosen time control is totally unusual, even nonsense, in chess — particularly in computer chess.

Of the 100 games of the match, DeepMind only published ten wins by Alpha Zero, unfortunately without information about search depths and evaluations."

I also noted somewhere that Deep Mind scores nearly all of its wins with White and very few with Black, whereas computers playing each other usually have their wins on a 55-45 ratio just like human players. That’s pretty weird and maybe exploitable.

So it comes down to … this is a big advance in AI but it really has no immediate or obvious benefits for chess players.

GMs still say that Komodo and Houdini are the programs of choice for real world players.

He does look like a fish.

He is in trailer park boys - hysterical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxBDUU_DDd8