Looks like the great flood is on the way

Wow. It’s not even that hot yet down here. That sucks.

About 5 years ago I had a hunch that my basement floor was higher than a marsh area near my house separated by some trees. Using a level I was able to determine that the water level of the marsh area was 20 inches lower that my basement floor.

I had a drainage pipe put in. It costs about $1500.00 but it was well worth it. With unusual torrential rain I still get some puddling but that’s it. The flat side of a 2X4 is all that is needed to keep things dry.

Interesting. How long is your pipe, do you own the marsh, and on what ways is this an “outlaw” solution?

The pipe is about 50 feet long and i own the marsh. This is simply clean rainwater which would be running off into the marsh anyway, except for a diversion into my basement.

I wouldn’t be doing anything to harm the marsh area, I like the many birds, turtles and sich.

Our place sits at kind of a low point, when our shit does flood I think the groundwater gets higher than the basement. The other day it looked like it was starting to seep through the concrete floor into the carpet in a couple places. If I keep a close eye on it I can usually contain it but if it gets too bad and starts coming in everywhere it’s a disaster.

1 Like

Perfect.

No way in hell am I ever gonna have carpet or wood flooring below grade.

3 Likes

It’s just some cheap industrial/commercial type carpet, nothing plush. But yeah, major pain in the ass to deal with if it all gets soaked which has happened once since I’ve been here. After we pumped what we could out, we ended up getting as much water out with a carpet cleaner as possible, then running a carpet cleaner over it, then letting it dry with a dehumidifier and a bunch of fans.

1 Like

Yes, but my issue ain’t with the value of the carpet…it’s with mold.

1 Like

Yeah yeah, I hear ya, I haven’t or seen or smelled any mold or mildew on the carpet down there though., I think the key is getting the rainwater out of it as much as possible, then dousing it with the carpet cleaner chemicals, then getting it dry as fast as possible. I also run a dehumidifier down there year round which I think probably keeps mold and mildew down more than anything.

1 Like

That’s all good, but seems like a lotta hassle compared to not putting carpet down there.

1 Like

Just put linoleum down there. Then, if it gets too nasty beyond repair, just toss a hand grenade in there and you will have Linoleum BlownApart.

3 Likes

I agree, next time I think I’ll rip it out and do what Wabbit suggests.

1 Like

Or ya could move to a state where pre-existing carpet is covered

1 Like

Just went down there, there’s a small puddle, just barely gonna get through this last deluge I think…

If Ceiling Cat deems it necessary to stain your carpet, it should be celebrated and not fought with teh Basement Cat Science.

1 Like

I have a rare basement ceiling cat.