MSU vs OSU, far better than UM-OSU

Are we all sick of hearing about the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry? When was the last time a game they played mattered? For so long it was just because they were the only truly competent Big Ten teams and played last.

If you want to know who sticks a finger in mighty Ohio State’s eye most often it’s Sparty. MSU has beaten a #1 ranked, or a Buckeye team going to a top BCS Game or playoff game in 1972, 1974, 1998, 2013 & 2015. Michigan wishes they had this success against their great “rivals.”

1974 was something though, something else. I remember reading this article as a pre-teen in my Sports Illustrated on the craziest ending of a game nobody ever heard about. I watched it live.

It made me a Spartan fan.

it was the first use of instant replay in sports (even though they said they didn’t use it people who were there said yeah they did) and ended with Ohio State’s Woody Hayes with his hands around the neck (REALLY!) of Big Ten Commissioner Wayne Duke in the Buckeye locker room. Woody was so incensed by what happened he turned in MSU coach Denny Stoltz in for recruiting violations and MSU went on probation.

Lansing State Journal remembers the 74 oddity

The Sports Illustrated article

The famous Levi Jackson picture

And the madness as it happened. Let’s Join Chris Schenkel and Duffy Daugherty from Spartan Stadium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXPgk8XM2e8

2 Likes

Geaux Sparty!

Plus if MSU can find a way today it’ll render Michigan vs OSU meaningless in the conference race

1 Like

I’ve never personally cared about the OSU/UM rivalry, but it was a family matter for years.

My late brother, who died 20 years ago, was a JD from UM in '72. He would hang his UM pennant on the patio for the world to see, taped the game every year, had a bookshelf fulla videocassettes. Interested or not, I was given FAR more info about that rivalry than I wanted.

Because he lived hours away, I trolled him for years by supplying his law partner with OSU bumper stickers to surreptitiously put on my bro’s car, and other OSU memorabilia to sneak into the office.

Since my bro died I’ve not paid any attention to the rivalry, although it should be noted that the only teams I detest more than Ohio’s are Notre Dame’s.

Whom do you hate more, Michigan or OSU?

I hate Ohio State more. Their fanbase is the worst in the Big Ten

Good, because my FIL, my BIL, and my closest (geographically) family friend are UM grads.

1 Like

As is my hippy friend Doug, who after years of making patio furniture out of sticks and twigs, went and got an MBA at UM.

1 Like