Penning a ballad

I know a few of you have been in bands and such, and I’m curious about the process of song writing like how it is even done as in putting all the pieces together and how songs not only evolve but how the they are born.

Any takers?

Here’s how one dude you may have heard of did it one time on one of the more substantial pop song hooks in a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9izw5I5jNg

Start with something, a beat, a melody, a guitar part, whatever it is and build onto it…

1 Like

This is interesting

1 Like

I’ve always been frustrated by this. I can hear a song and play it. Give me the chord charts and i can play it.

But i can’t write for shit. The creative process seems beyond my ken.

I could make up shit all day but I doubt if anyone would want to hear it!

So you just start playing? Or do you write it down? How do you get the other parts done?

When you are in a band, how does it work? Do you each bring in something? Do you jam until something clicks?

However you want!

When I was a teenager I checked out a book from the library on songwriting and it was fairly modern at the time, it was a great book though, wish I still had it or at least knew the name of it… You might want to study some stuff about songwriting itself, there is info out there.

I know but I like talking to actual band people. You can’t ask books specific questions.

I always did the old Metallica method. Take a few different riffs and try to develop logical transitions, then edit it into a song. I always liked to sort of map out the whole thing and have an intro, verse, chorus, bridge or interlude, outro etc.

Or you can take a riff from a different song and start messing around with it and take it in a different direction. I know Deep Purple did this for a bunch of their songs.

In terms of the riff itself I found that sometimes humming it out was the best way, since I never had a really great feel for the guitar. Or you start with some standard 4/4 thing and chop off a bar or add something to get a more interesting time signature.