Poison Ivy

when they’re looking like this

If you closer you can see the millions of tiny thorns full of poison

I saw a video awhile back of people eating raw leaves of it, claimed it was great for ya… I’ll pass.

You realise you aren’t contradicting me right?

“A poison ivy rash itself isn’t contagious — blister fluid doesn’t contain urushiol and won’t spread the rash. And you can’t get poison ivy from another person unless you’ve touched urushiol that’s still on that person or his or her clothing.” -Mayo

Of course I do. I am, however, trying to mention that it does not take more of the irritant to spread the reaction, in some cases. I am one such case, so I’m pretty familiar with how it works.

Because Type IV hypersensitivity leads to a systemic reaction, the only things that seem to help are steroids and antihistamines…both of which suck beyond measure.

I get the cream - a little tube goes a long way

Taking both at once isn’t any fun either.

Hell no. I hope that isn’t a part of your usual regimen.

It’s part of my infusion cocktail.

you people sidetrack too quickly

Do tell

She was a bitch in the videogame version

I walked in some of America’s parks, the woods there are very cool to explore and what not. I particularly enjoyed the colder months, there brushes would be mostly dead

Over here, plants like nettle are everywhere year round almost

If you guys check that video, the one with the dog jumping in the river, you can see a big forest across the river and that’s the tip of a huge federal nature reserve. It’s teeming with jaguars, cuatimondis, tapirs, capibaras, boas and all kinds of birds. It’s also full of monkey’s razors and thorny ferns that had spiked that could poke your torax across. It’s not the Amazon, it’s part of the Atlantic Forest as well call. It has been mostly devastated elsewhere in Brazil, but over here, since the badass botocudo indians made the colonization impossible until the beginning of the 20th century, it’s in almost pristine condition. I say almost because last year we had a fucking dam breaking some 200 km upriver, sending 25 thousand olympic pools of ore mining sludge into the Doce River. The one in the video is the Piracicaba, it’s been polluted for quite a while (that dog shouldn’t be swimming there) but right behind those trees across the river, runs the Doce. They meet 300 ft after the place where they are sitting.

Where the fuck were you American libs to give Samarco hell? Ya know, I used to be a lib too, back when they defended things like nature and other things that really mattered

Visiting the tropical rain forest in South America is on my bucket list to do before I die.

Technically, the PI blisters do not spread.

However, the original PI oils WILL spread unless they are very carefully removed. Dish detergent or anything else that will dissolve oils will do it, but wash in cold water and don’t let even the detergent spread more than necessary.

The juice of the aloe plant will help the itching, but alas, does nothing to heal/dry up the blisters.

For a general systemic reaction, sadly, antihystimines and steroids are all you can do. Steroids suck: I got a still shot of that once to clear up a bad, widespread reaction, it triggered cataracts, and I wound up having lens replacement surgery on both eyes.

Cataracts was the best thing ever happened to me

A fellow I met on the AT today recommended Burt’s Bees Poison Ivy soap with Jewelweed also.

Just get the script and be done with it

SHS

Occams razor and sich

He also said salt water is good so I may head to the Jersey Shore. I think Guido has a summer place there.

I just got the Shoppers version of Calamine lotion. Cooled things down nicely.

That’s all we ever used as kids.