Protesters topple Confederate statue in North Carolina

No tearing down a statue won’t end racism… But it is doing something today to say, “This is a part of our past, that we want to remain in the past” I am a great grand son of the south, I have ancestors that owned slaves, and I do also view the civil war as a continuation of the debates that surrounded the compromises made in drafting the Constitution, compromises that left important questions unanswered. Are the states sovereign like mini countries? etc, are we OK with maintaining a feudal system here in the new world? Can that guy over their own that family, can he sell the boys off to his neighbor?

2 Likes

West Point Professor of History.

https://youtu.be/pcy7qV-BGF4

Fair enough but there are ways to remove statues that are legal.

You’ll have to excuse my Canadian ignorance here because I don’t grok this shit at all. Slavery was abolished over 150 years ago. That’s older than my country, eh. You guys have had 152 years to get your racial shit together and you still haven’t. Do you think tearing down statues is going to change that in some meaningful, symbolic way?

Blacks and whites SHARE an American history. It’s not the most pleasant history to share, but it’s yours nonetheless. Tearing down relics of the past is not going to turn your nation into some racially harmonious place. In fact, you guys look more racially divided than ever over this.

I think it’s time to stop with the bandaids and deal with the real wound.

1 Like

They should take Washington and Jefferson off Mt. Rushmore too.

Have you ever heard of AA?

This happened during my lifetime.

https://youtu.be/6C-kBVggFrs

Nobody said it was going to turn it into a racially harmonious place. This is about taking down their holy bigot monuments which represent institutionalized racism that the racists are so proud of that shouldn’t be on public property in the first place… they’ll do everything they can to hold onto their symbols of bigotry, I say tear them down and let them cry. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I were president I’d identify all the cities, counties, towns in the country being ran by racists and send in the feds and national guard to take over. :slight_smile:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/undeterred-u-cities-ramp-removal-confederate-statues-100924616--finance.html

Yes. I see it as another bandaid.

Sadly, some people see a political advantage in keeping slavery alive. As you said, it ended 150 years ago.

These statues are works of art and should be respected as such.

Sure… works of art… so sell them to some private collectors and be done with them ,they don’t belong in public parks, in front of gov. buildings or on public property… Fuck the confederate traitors, @Bigdukesix was right.

3 Likes

Where is it still alive and why haven’t you killed it yet?

1 Like

where’s him btw

I don’t know, hopefully doing well, he got mad at Boro one day and hasn’t been back even though I did my best to resolve the situation.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

I haven’t seen him either.

Apparently, the own governor of NC himself told people to destroy the statues

So I guess it’s ok to destroy public property now

See, this is the kind of shit that should cause the outrage

But everybody is more worried about what Trump had for breakfast

1 Like