Ran Into Phil Keaggy Today

At the chiropractors’ office. We all gotta get old. : (

I’ve played with Phil a few times at church. Gotta love Nashville.

Random old vid. Dig his rhythm section.

Church. Christian music. Yet you say you aren’t Christian. WTF?

Phil Keaggy was/is a FANTASTIC guitarist. I heard he was one of Jimi Hendrix’s teachers at one point.

I am pretty sure that is a rumor. They talk about that stuff in the wiki article. Regardless, he’s a fine guitarist. I remember my guitar teacher liking him a lot way back in the mid 70s, he was always talking about Glass Harp.

Nothing really groundbreaking here, he just happens to be that rare Christian musician that isn’t totally god awful. The groove and likely the chord progression as well were taken from a Pink Floyd song I just can’t put my finger on which one. :slight_smile:

They should give him an award for being the only Christian musician to understand modal theory. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the kinda stuff he’s doing these days, that vid I posted was from the 70’s.

That’s silly.

That’s silly, too.

Still not overly impressed, sure he’s a decent enough player and stuff but I’m just not seeing the extra super duper Jesus abilities shining through.

Anyways, I was doing slap back echo loops like that when I was 15 in my bedroom (boooring) and the stuff he’s playing itself sounds like he took some open tuning ideas from Jimi Page and played them fast. :smile:

Not rlly, 5 seconds to answer, what’s the 5th mode of a G major scale? :smile:

He’s giving a demonstration in that vid. He’s pretty awesome in concert.

I’m sure he is with Jebus shining down on him and all through the par cans. :slight_smile:

D is the 5th of G. Is that what you are asking?

the 5th MODE, not the 5th note lol… you failed as expected… D Mixolydian

See, another Christian musician with no understanding of basic modal theory which is basic fucking shit, the keyboard player in the band I used to play in knew jazz chord substitution and crazy shit that would make my head hurt… funny we could talk about music and how to play things in numbers all day while driving.

The fifth mode is always Mixolydian. The fifth tone in G major is D.

I said mode and you replied with the wrong answer… save fail… :stuck_out_tongue:

I studied Music Theory at Eastman.