Ran Into Phil Keaggy Today

Unfortunately that hasn’t saved me from having to see a chiropractor regularly. : (

Or Phil.

So, I studied out of books and magazines.

Precisely my point. What counts is how you play. The Christian thing is irrelevant as well.

What note gives an A harmonic minor scale its special flavor? :stuck_out_tongue:

The flat 6.

The flat 5th which in A would be an E flat. :slight_smile:

A Harmonic minor scale doesn’t have a flat 5th.

Next time you run into Phil you might want to ask him how much he’d charge for a lesson modal theory, hell I learned most of it out of some articles in Guitar Player magazine by that dude that played guitar for the shitty Canadian band Triumph…

You’re correct, I’m thinking of another scale but it’s not the flat 6th either, it would be the A flat note in A, sharp 7th? :slight_smile:

You mean natural 7. Sharp 7th would be the octave.

Harmonic minor scale:

1, 2 flat3, 4, 5, flat6. 7, octave.

Diminished and half diminished scales both have a flat 5.

That’s a regular minor scale with the G as the 7th… which in an A harmonic minor scale would be a G# note and the 7th the G would be left out.

I know what you mean. G in the key of A is a flat 7. Also known as a Dominant 7. In the Harmonic Minor scale the 7 is natural. [G#]

1 Like

That I believe is correct.

Yeah my wires got crossed and I gave you the flat 5th or “blue note” also which is generally how I use the flat 5th, not much room for diminished licks in most forms of popular music but I know a few. I might be wrong but doesn’t Locrian mode also have a flat 5th?

I don’t know about the locrian mode. I had to look that one up:

The E Locrian mode starts on E and contains the same notes as the F Major scale. (E, F, G, A, B♭, C, D, E)

That reads: 1, flat2. flat3 4, flat5, flat6, flat7, octave.

That’s a weird mode.

The flat 5th is nice as a passing tone while soloing, there aren’t any songs that I know of which ride a diminished chord for any length of time.

For most of the fast chicken picken type stuff I had a lot of licks and tricks in what’s basically a minor scale with the flat 5th and the major 3rd added in. Then I’d change the scale I’m playing in for each chord in the progression.

Edit, not a minor scale, a Dorian scale with the flat 5th and major 3rd added in, but it’s all in how you play it too.

Do you use your fingers only when chicken picken, a pick, or a combination?

It’s when I read stuff like this and my fantasy of picking up an instrument and learning to play are tested, my eyes glaze over. But I know this is theory stuff you pick up over time and by reading etc, and perhaps not be too necessary to know at a beginner level.

But anywho, this Christian Music argument reminds me of these two guys I used to work with one day they put this “Christian Rock” tape on and turned it up to 11 and were dancing around and Christian Rocking out, to everyone else I think it just sounded like bad head banger crap…but it lead to a legendary (at least for that place) moment, after the one song they played over about 5 times was over, my buddy Kenny calls over the more obnoxious of the two (who was in the middle of buying a house and boring everyone to tears with his vast Real Estate Knowledge)

Ken says hey Wayne, you know about Real Estate right, I’ve got a question? Wayne’s eyes light up and he comes prancing over, Ken grabs his package (ie his cock an shit) and says “Is this a lot?” The look on Wayne’s eyes and his shouts of (a little forced) outrage were priceless.

Pick and fingers, I’ll generally pluck the notes I want to pop with my middle or sometimes ring finger… I haven’t played in years.