Ran Into Phil Keaggy Today

Post that one video you posted a couple years ago, I think to most of us, it sounded like some nice strumming

ugghhh makes me wince… I’d take it down if I still had access to the account.

That’s how I do it, too. Pick and middle finger.

So you play bass with a pick?

I have a song I wrote, sang and played on posted at Youtube I recorded at home about 15 years ago. The point of it is my songwriting, but there’s a nice melodic solo at the end.

Everything you hear is me and a drum machine on a Roland 880 digital 8 Track…

I’m on the far left in the pic, that was taken at a jazz concert inside LP Field. That’s Nashville in the background. These guys have nothing to do with the music you’re hearing.

No, I use my thumb. Fingers sometimes. For really fast lines I use a felt pick, but that’s rare.

what’s the deal with that, I know most bass players use their fingers but a few use a pick, I was reading about some bass player one time and the writer made some snide sounding comment about this use of the pick, seems like I’ve seen other things along the same lines…is using a pick considered tacky or something?

Yeah I think a lot of bass people consider it tacky to use a pick but a lot of guitar players that play bass like me will use a pick or pick finger combination. Personally I think using a pick usually sounds cleaner for most things.

I see a lot of rock bass players using a pick. I’m sure that crazy bass line in Yes’ ‘Roundabout’ was Chris Squire using a pick. It sounds like it, anyway.

It’s cleaner, thumb and fingers are thumpier. The felt pick is a cross between the two.

Why not?

Lost interest after the road work ended, no desire to play on a local yokel level with the local yokels.

Yeah, I get that. That’s one of the reasons I moved to Nashville.

I’ve gotten drunk downtown there before, it looked like they had their own local yokel scene who weren’t that great too.

I would say that Nashville has the highest concentration of high quality musicians per capita than any other city in the world.

I was thinking that was how it would be, but that’s not what I saw downtown.

Those guys play for tips. However, I have seen some good players downtown. If you wanna see some of the best, attend a church service.

Best comedy maybe… :slight_smile:

I’ve seen good and bad musicians in various church settings, mostly pretty mediocre but of course I’m a small town guy. Christian musicians mostly are just pop musicians playing pop stuff with worship or praise lyrics, same way a lot of country musicians sing pop lines with a southern accent.

As far as Keaggy goes, I never paid much attention to him although I remember his name and a couple of things he did. On that Elixir demo clip, Billdo said he heard a Page flavor, but I thought of John Renbourn in Pentangle in the late sixties, who died a few years back but was one of the best acoustic guitar guys I can think of, back when you had to use real microphones to record them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArqvldknF5M