So, I have this friend

@LotusBud, my friend is a published poet who seems to have an endless supply of “poet in residence” gigs at tony Eastern colleges. But evidently it’s not all milk and honey.

for%20Lotus

Service industry -

That’s a good one fer sure

The whole idea of not causing students to feel uncomfortable is the impetus behind 8-page syllabi that do everything but wipe a student’s ass, and the delivery of everything, every last fucking thing (from homework assignments to links to assigned readings and even notes in some professors’ worlds) online saves them from ever having to take a note or look back at those notes they never, ever took. Their inability to take notes goes hand in hand with their inability to write or to think critically in any way. Their screen-focused lives certainly go hand-in-hand with their fear of reading aloud as well.

I never took notes, did homework and usually slept during classes because I was stoned and stayed up too late the night before, then I’d take the tests and usually have the highest grade in the class…

Yeah. But I don’t usually give tests. I bet that poet fellow doesn’t, either.

PS, Spoon. Your poet friend is a little harsh, though, imo. I guess that comes from working in tony East Coast institutions. He may not be used to dealing with the common student.

Yeah but why would I waste my time studying, taking notes and doing homework and all that bullshit when I could just ace the exams and get by?

http://www.thekindland.com/wellness/thc-makes-lab-rats-smarter-pissing-off-canadian-researchers-2023

1 Like

I don’t know, Billdo. In my classes, students have to write papers. It’s not a test. And most of them are absolutely terrible at writing papers. One must put the time into the process of writing. Almost no one comes to class stoned, doesn’t do the homework (reading), and then writes an A paper without being willing to go through the revision process. In fact, not one student ever has in any of my classes.

Six calls bullshit - you wuda never did that where I went to school - WTF kina school was that

You ain’t gona sleep thru a fucking difficult chemistry class and ace the test - you wud get fucking zero

I never took any difficult chemistry classes… :stuck_out_tongue:

We got high at the bus stop every morning before school, we got high during lunch on the school grounds… I find it hard to believe that nobody comes to class stoned in California.

Most of the tests I had to take were multiple choice tests…

Oh and after I dropped out of high school halfway through my senior year a couple credits short I went to go get my GED… they wanted me to go to these stupid classes and study for the fucking GED test for 2 weeks… I went for one day and it about killed me, I was like, can’t I just come in and take the test? And they’re like yeah but you probably won’t do very well or some shit like that… so I just took the test… got the highest score out of 40 or so people who took the test the same day. lol

I didn’t say that, dear heart. I said no one who came to class stoned every day and failed to do the homework ever got an A in my class.

I wouldn’t usually get A’s, I’d get an A on the tests usually, which for the class would leave me around a C… which was ok by me… passin. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, well, in my class, they don’t get A’s on their papers when they don’t give a shit and don’t do the process. If they get C’s on their papers and don’t do any of the homework, they totally fail the class.

So even if they wrote an A paper, you wouldn’t give them the A on it because they hadn’t done the other bullshit? Not fair LB!

Jesus. Are you too stoned to read? Re-read my post, mister. SMH

They don’t get A’s on their papers because their papers suck when they can’t be bothered to do the workshop and the revision. A C paper gets a C.

See, all I’d have to do is write an A paper once in awhile and you’d give me a C or a D and I’d get my credit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. Well, it’s writing that A paper that would take a miracle.

BTW, in college a D is a failing grade.

1 Like

So why not teach them through or with a screen?