Summer of Love, redux

I’ve been reading that promoters in San Francisco were hoping to monetize memories of the 1967 Summer of Love. Big events are planned, I hear.

My only two SFO friends (both of whom were there fifty years ago) have both expressed serious reservations to me about this, because the Old SFO is long gone and the New one ain’t so promising.

That’s how it turned out for this poor Aussie chap.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/35744751/australian-scientist-killed-following-fight-while-on-holiday-in-san-francisco/#page1

What’d they say about that shit, if you remember it you weren’t really there or something?

They say that about the Sixties, but in reality they probably mean the Vietnam decade, roughly 65-75. In my case it lasted from maybe 63-79. If I had to write my memoirs there’d be a disclaimer for that period…“all information is from second and third hand sources.”

2 Likes

Decades from now we will be saying it about YABB too…

they built a new airport in san francisco?

1 Like

The old San Francisco, where I lived prior to transplanting to LA, is indeed gone. It’s been swallowed up by the tech monsters, most notably Google. It has been utterly obliterated. The worst example of capitalism run amok I think I have ever seen anywhere.

And PS, Yeah, SFO is the name of the airport, which is not actually in town.

I’ve been scrolling around on my pal Dominic’s FB page, looking for a couple of paragraphs he wrote a couple of months ago about how that scene was already deteriorating even by 1967, and how bad it actually got before he finally got himself shipped off to Folsom. Can’t find it though. Have a query in to him, and will produce it here if he is able to cough it up.

I think “we” romanticize that era based on a few events the concerts, the bands of the area and era and a couple acid tests, and overlook the downside problems of basically homeless people flooding into a couple neighborhoods.

It was fucking heaven compared to now

2 Likes

What made it so much better?

Yeah, what Starling asked.

Pre-privatization of the fucking planet.

i like your new edge, lotus bud.

:kiss: But, new?

maybe its me but i remember a softer lotus.

Well, one has to survive amid the noise and haste of the trolls.

How many times we been over this -

I think it was better

If you don’t that’s fine and why they have menus in restaurants

No matter what the fuck I say there are ten things to contradict it - not fucking playing

1 Like

** snicker **

1 Like

Only I’m the one asking. I wasn’t born so I am genuinely interested in knowing why it was so much better.