Thanks for flying Southwest

Weird, I just read yesterday I think that SW had a terrifying landing in NOLA during a storm, passengers screaming, crying and vomiting etc, I gotta tell ya, I’m not too sure about Thrift Store Airlines.

I always took Southwest when I flew from LA to Sacramento for union stuff. Always seemed safe, but maybe they’re going downhill.

I also always fly EasyJet when I’m in Europe. The first time I took them I was really worried, honestly. But their planes seemed great, so I used them many times.

Last flight I took was on SW, from Vegas to Portland a couple years ago, very nice plane, comfy seats good leg room, I suspected if was fitted for a a higher class route somewhere like an Atlantic Region shuttle or something.

This was all Mother Nature’s fault.

Southwest is statistically the world’s safest airline. In more than 1.5 billion flights since it started operations in Texas in 1971, no passenger has been killed in a crash.

These pilots got their plane down with an exploded engine, probably stuctural damage, and no more than half power.

Salute.

Until now.

1 dead after Southwest engine fails in midair, forcing emergency landing

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/plane-makes-emergency-landing-philadelphia-161503266--abc-news-topstories.html

1 Like

The woman sitting at the blown-in window took a piece of shrapnel. Chances are she didn’t even choose the seat, and my own practice of never sitting in line with the spinning parts of the engine would not have saved her either.

John Donne (1572-1631), Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII: Nunc Lento Sonitu Dicunt, Morieris:

“…No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend’s or of thine own were: any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

Boeing aircraft are engineered to, if need be, fly on one engine.

Regardless, it’s still a feat.

especially with no hydraulics.

One might argue that this death was not the result of a “crash” but an “equipment failure”, as the craft ultimately landed safely. For stats sake.

1 Like

It was a she! :clap:

Yes, a she with the Right Stuff.