The eclipse has begun here on the Left Coast

But it’s a bit overcast here in SillyCon Valley.

2 Likes

We had some high clouding last night, today pretty clear.

It began here about 20 minutes ago. It’s hot and muggy AF here, so I’m stepping out into the back yard every five or ten minutes to check its progress. Looks like the moon is eating the sun from about 1:30 to 7:30. It’s gonna take a bit more than an hour for it to reach full eclipse, which will last for two and a half minutes.

We are at totailty here, 80% in San Jose. Here’s some kewl pics from my yard, all the little sun-holes are crescent-shaped

ok, the one is from my living room, :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I gotta tell ya that was pretty cool, i snapped several pics on my phone will post when i figure out how.

1 Like

From my phone, I email 'em to myself and then poast them.

1 Like

Google Photos

So anyway thats what an filtered shot of totality looks like…for a minute or so the sky went dark and there a black disc with that bright corona or halo, i even gazed upon it without my 99 cent eclipse glasses i got at the mini market for $3.99!

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

(jealous)

Doesn’t really do it justice, but this is a pro pic from my area, and yes it looked just like this, in living color

4 Likes

We couldn’t see the 3 minutes prior to totality but we got the last 20 seconds of totality before the crescent sun started to reappear on the two o’clock side. It was amazing. And I walked across the street to speak to a neighbor and I swear it was seven or eight degrees warmer in the middle of the street than it was on the sidewalks, due to its being asphalt and a sort of solar collector that was still at the pre-eclipse temp.

2 Likes

About 2 minutes to the end of any occultation here, the sun is practically round again. Ah well, lunch time

4 Likes

Totality has jumped off of the east coast.

We only got 90% or so where I am, but every dog, cat, bird, and rodent in town went apeshit for about twenty minutes. My own dog kept trying to crawl under my arm, and I saw a herd - yes, herd - of at least three dozen wabbits pour across the park next door.

4 Likes

Yeah my dog acted fine but I noticed a lot of the other neighborhood dogs barking their asses off.

Yahoo comment of the day:

“I watched the eclipse thru a collander. I may have strained my eyes.”

3 Likes

The solar eclipse is like a woman breastfeeding…
You’re not supposed to look, but you know you are going to take a peek.

3 Likes

It was a little hazy in my area and it was only at 60%. Still, I enjoyed seeing it.

We will have a total eclipse in my area in 2024. I am looking forward to seeing it and howling at the moon.