Toyota Cressida

Never heard of it but they must have ran pretty good…

1 Like

Very nice cars, the straight six they have is prone to blowing head gaskets, but it’s still a good motor.The newer body style doesn’t look as dated as the early boxy era, but they’re still a good driver.

2 Likes

I remember the earlier ones. IIRC they were the high end of the line in the US, either just above or just below the Corona. My neighbor had a ten year old Corona coupe that was a 74-75 model and I helped him work on it several times. Damned impressive, especially the 4-speed manual box which had lots of needle bearings in it. They clearly intended that fucker to go a lot of miles.

They’re a common “car guy car” due to being RWD with a manual option.
The 1JZGTE (turbo straight six 2.5 liter) is a hell of a engine. The 1G 2.0 engines were absolute garbage (the one Ape is most likely referring to)
They also came in a 22R, which is arguably the most reliable 4 cylinder Toyota ever made.

Here’s my friends 1JZGTE cressida

2 Likes

Also a damned good Toyota.

Back in the day when Toyota over built everything and dominated in reliability.

1 Like

To a degree they still do. I don’t know about now, but when I was slinging them they, were spending beucoup buckets of cash on r& d.

They were not that good

I had a Tercel I bought new that basically fell the fuck apart at 100k - I still have the sunroof non glass one - never used

I liked it and is was fun to drive and had yer hatchback

That was during the Econobox Era. I was in Napa in the middle eighties on business and rented a Tercel for a week, put a thousand miles on it easy. A few rungs up the ladder from most of yer shitboxes, and not bad to drive, but still not a Real Car.

I put a 100k on it

I liked it -

you could park it anywhere almost