Trump budget eliminates funding for earthquake early warning system

Anyway…

Almost $25 billion flowed last year from the pockets of Mexicans living overseas, almost all of it from the U.S. That’s even higher than what Mexico earns from its oil exports.

That’ll buy a lot of earthquake detection equipment.

I know a guy who opened a Western Union in Newark, he told me that he would handle 1/2 mil in remittances in a good week.

25 Billion to the USA is fucking lunch money and besides - what’s yer point?

1 Like

My point is you already bought one.

They send all the used vehicles to Mexico to keep the prices up here so they can gouge us.

Unless it’s changed the number one vehicle Mexicans take back home are pick up trucks, and as of a couple years ago they needed to be over 10 years old to avoid a big tariff

Seriously. MY point was that Trump doesn’t give a shit about the lives of 50 million Americans, or the economy of a region that makes an enormous contribution to the functioning of the USofA. He’d rather gives tax cuts to a few thousand rich fuck buckles.

How much warning do you get with one of these detection systems?

It’s a matter of minutes, but…

But what? What difference has a couple of minutes been proven to make?

Might be enough time to evacuate a building, maybe enough time to adjust the power grid to avoid damage. Possibly enough time for Trump to launch the the missiles.

The volcano in the NW

a guy was driving away from it down a road 80 miles an hour to outrun the eruption

another guy went around him at over 100

guess who lived

take yer time

2 Likes

It gives you PLENTY of time to get out of a structure that could easily kill you. Trust me. We got out of the house in about 30 seconds during the Northridge quake. it also gives you time to turn off your gas. I would rest much easier if we had that system in place.

Isn’t it dangerous to be out on the street as well due to falling debris and such?

You know we are talking about earthquakes right? You can’t really outrun one.

I’ll take my chances outside any day over being inside. After the quake, the LA Times did a series of bios and cause of death for every person who died in the quake. I read every one of them. The ONLY people who died outside died under freeway overpasses or on collapsed freeways. Everyone else (the vast majority) was killed by shit falling on them in their houses. Shit like walls.

Everyone in our neighborhood was outside before the earthquake was over.

What about in a city setting with skyscrapers, falling glass, concrete, etc?

How is the warning distributed, especially at night?

Well, it hasn’t been implemented, so I don’t know.

High rises are always a risk. I prefer to stay away from them. Glass is bad, too. It can be just as bad inside as out.

The thing is, if you know two minutes before a quake hits, you can get outside and step away from glass, power lines, and trees if you’re lucky. It’s way better than no warning. Infinitely better.

Is there some evidence of this?

Some evidence of what? That’s it’s better to stand outside in a clearing than to be inside under a ceiling that could fall on you or a gas leak that could explode? Are you serious?

Nitpick this all you want, Starling. I live in earthquake country, and I have been in quite a few big ones. I’m going outside. Period. And two minutes’ warning would be far preferable to none.