Venice floods just after council votes down climate change measures

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate

Why would anyone build an ancient city where the climate keeps changing?

Venice floods, whoa, I can’t imagine how that would happen.

Basillica

Flooding not seen in 50 years

I visited Venice twenty years ago, and learned that somewhat like Houston, it was actually sinking about six inches a year and things were looking rather grave. Climatologists are talking about sea level rises that will dramatically affect cities on both US coasts, including my friend’s property on one of the Puget Sound islands which will be gone. With Venice, there’s no wiggle room at all. The main sanctuary in St. Mark’s cathedral is “on grade” and I see the plaza was flooded by yesterday’s king tide. A foot of water in the plaza equals a foot of water in St. Mark’s.

I’m afraid Venice is toast. It might be theoretically possible for a platoon of Dutch engineers to save it, but the cost would be astronomical.

1 Like

They are building stuff - supposed to be done already - I think they spend 6 billion already - lotsa graft slowed it down

I shoulda googed it, but I seem to recall that Venice was built in a marshland, and much of these old sections that are sinking were built on pilings, logs they hammered into the ground as a sort of foundation. I may do that when I get back from my Mani-pedi. Google it that is.

That is correct, IIRC.

I went there twice in the 90’s and still don’t get why Mericans call it Venice when the name of the place is Venezia. They do it to Naples too… Napoli becomes Naples… just makes mericans sound even dumber.

Mr Name Cop

2 Likes

Misses

1 Like

Ok

Misses name cop

2 Likes

Roma = Rome
Torino = TUrin
München = Munich
etc etc

And French Nice is to the Italians Nizza, so the wops give it back as well.
(never mind that Nice/Nizza has been in italy as well depending on the decade)

My son did his junior year abroad, ca. 1990, split between Nice and Napoli. Although his second language was French, he said that one could easily get by in both places speaking only one or the other.

Venice Floods Are a Sad Tale of Bureaucracy and Corruption

https://www.yahoo.com/news/venice-floods-sad-tale-bureaucracy-095537265.html