Weren't we just talking about Ender's Game?

Like 8 or 9 years ago?

Just stumbled on the movie, wtf, is this part of Star Wars, or wut

1 Like

I believe I was a part of that conversation, for reference this is my entire bookshelf… lmao

Movie is “meh”, but it reminds me of the book and I absolutely loved the book.

They could’ve done without the seemingly-basic-training attempt that just turned out corny as all hell.

1 Like

It is not part of SW.

It is however, as a book, the start of two very interesting story arcs in separate book series.

4 Likes

If ya Google “Enderverse”, you’ll get a zillion story maps.

I’ve got 9 books and I’m missing more than half.

The movies a little hokey, but it’s semi entertaining. But with Han solo as the Mentor, I keep feeling a Star Wars vibe.

And a Ghandi vibe too?

Ghandi is dandy, but…hey is that Lake Chelan? Must ask comrade google.

Reading Ender’s Game and SFTD, for me, was YUGE, at least on a par with discovering Heinlein’s mind and probably a lot deeper. But TBH I’ve only read the Ender quartet and seen none of the movies.

If I were king, we would have Speakers and I would be one and abdicate my throne.

@Wabbit, please lay me hip to the second story arc and I’ll get right on it.

1 Like

I’m not Wabbit, but the second Arc follows Bean, and it’s called the Shadow series.

Ender’s Shadow (runs parallel to Enders Game)
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Shadows in Flight (parallel to Ender in Exile I believe)
Shadows Alive (planned but unproduced)

2 Likes

I got as far as Shadow of the Giant in the 2nd arc. Turns out Bean is quite an interesting character.

The others that follow SFTD in the first arc are also quite interesting. I for one struggled with Xenocide because of my own OCD, but ended up loving it the 2nd time I read it, and Children of the Mind had some goofy parts and some really really beautiful parts, worth the read. Ender in Exile falls between EG and SFTD and I haven’t read it.

Whole Ender in Exile is good, just picture the last couple chapters of Ender’s Game, but for the length until he grows old and goes to the planet with the piggies. Not much happened. He does get access to Jane and so forth.

1 Like

Right. I remember a short story where Ender meets Jane, I presume that got folded into this. I will read it on your rec, thanks

I do remember a short story, I could be melding those two together in my memory… lol

So Ender does meet Jane in a short story called “Investment Counselor”, it’s in a book called First Meetings which includes The Polish Boy (Enders father leaving Poland) Teacher’s Pest (Enders parents meeting), Enders Game, Investment Counselor (Ender meets Jame, becomes first Speaker for the Dead)