What do you guys think of white rice?

And how do you prepare it, if you do?

Forgot you have a Cooking Board.

Spoon!!!

LOL

descriptive

1 Like

I prefer white meat.

I like the white jasmine rice but I usually eat the brown rice these days. I prepare as directed on the packaging, I rinse it off first in a strainer under some running hot water.

Then their directions are 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, put it in the pot, bring it to a boil, put the lid on it and turn the heat down to where it’s just simmering and wait 35 minutes. Important, don’t take the lid off while it’s cooking.

You need a pot with a tight fitting lid that will hold the steam in.

2 Likes

Of course you do.

White has an “unsavory” fame in the US if not mixed with other stuff.

And people who eat white rice at a Chinese buffet will never touch it again

But Brazilian style white rice is an excellent side dish

Rice cookers are simply nasty IMO

That’s how I do it:

On a big pan with lid, put 1 cup of rice and 2 of water. That’s the proportion for white x rice if you would want to make more.

The secret:

For each cup, use 1 or 2 teaspoons of a paste made of garlic and salt. Brazilians will use that as our their primary spice. You can rub that on a steak, let it stay for 15 min and fry it for the most delicious steak ever, IMO. It’s like some sort of MSG, but you know, without killing you. It’s sorta addictive.

So, before anything. You put the rice, a bit of oil, a teaspoon for each cup (you can skip it, but it makes the rice way softer and stop it from caking too much) and 1-2 spoons of the garlic paste. Put everything in medium fire and stir it. When you starting smelling the delicious smell, it’s good enough. That shouldn’t take more than 2 or 3 minutes. If you don’t do it, the rice won’t taste so good and it’ll get kinda caked instead of having the grain nice and loose.

After that, put the water and high flame, stirring it once a minute or so. Make sure you never go more than 1/2 the height of the pot of it might spill in the next step.

After you see the water boiling, lower the flame and cover the pot. This part is a little trick, but when you see the water vapor almost disappear, it’s time. After that, you have less than a minute. Burnt rice might come out ok with just a crust on the bottom, but it might burn enough to make the rice taste nasty, even if it looks good. You can use something to see if the rice is not soggy on the bottom, remember the whole thing is hot, so the moisture in the bottom will evaporate a little more. But as soon as it’s done, just skim the upper layer. If you did it right, you’ll have something that fills you just like bread or pasta, but it’s a lot healthier.

2 Likes

I like sticky rice and Persian rice. I don’t ever really make white rice at home. Brown rice only. But when we go out, bring on the white rice!

Lot of racism in this thread.

I like brown rice too and over here we make all kinds of dishes with it

But I get sick of anything besides white rice, believe it or not. And these heavy mixtures are not too healthy, all the added fat and other stuff.

Didn’t she work for Bush?

2 Likes

I put a little olive oil or butter in it, salt and pepper, not real crazy about garlic in my rice but I put garlic powder in it sometimes, sounds good on the steak though. I usually chop up some onion and pepper to add in mine.

This talk of food is making me hungry.

2 Likes

I saw a thing where it has arsenic and yer supposed to soak it overnight - bullshit I thinks, but who knows

how the fuck did I ever live to 71