WTF is Burning Man?

Not sure, never been, might be cool to see at least once.

^^livestream, watch the hippies and Tech gazillionaires get their techno hippy artist geek on.

Everyone says it’s gotten too “clubby” and cliquish and expensive, plus local LEOs and county officials have begun hassling it again. I think it probably peaked about ten or twelve years ago. If you remember MsLed (AKA Jet) from that far back, she had gone several times btwn 1995-2005 but she was getting lukewarm by the time she posted among us.

Wot, like 800 bucks or whatever to get dust blown up yer ass

fuck dat

1 Like

The high rollers pay $900 each way to be heloed in.

It’s way more than that. I’ve been, once.

Between the sex community, all the music, the random help and stories and such… it’s quite interesting.

I think everyone should go atleast once.

1 Like

It’s the same week as the “Best in the West” National Rib cookoff in Reno. If I’m heading out that way in the week running up to Memorial Day, I’ll take the ribs over the dust. Plus as bad as I am at poker, there’re bigger “fish” than me at the tables and I can usually pay for my trip.

there’s no snark in BRC!

1 Like

Burning Man is a lot of things. Creative ecstasy, infinite musical masterpieces, unadulterated all in all out dancing marathons, workshops that completely reorient your perception of reality, research into the extremes of what it means to be you, complete overstimulation, and home to lessons you have the space to integrate all the way through. My deepest lesson this year centered on unconditional generosity and the blurred line between giving and receiving as you begin to tease apart your Self from your ego.

I was biking by Beats Boutique along esplanade when I heard a giant pop - everyone around me turned and we realized my back tire literally exploded while I was biking. Without skipping a beat a tall Kiwi with long blonde hair and the purest smile popped out from behind his camp’s fence and says, “let me take a look at that.” He flips my bike over, starts spinning the wheel and evaluating what happened and what he can do. When realizing how much work it would be beyond swapping out my tire - it would have been easy for him to say he wouldn’t be able to fix it or to send me off to a bike repair camp, instead he asked me how much time I could give him based on my evening’s agenda and sent my friend and I off dancing. When we checked back in with as much nourishment as we could find nearby to thank him, it turned out he needed to use most of his own spare bike parts and at least another hour to fix my bike. I told him I was happy to figure it out myself, but instead Shane (aka Magic Fingers on playa because he was notorious for fixing everyone’s everything) apologized it was taking him longer than expected to get me back on the road.

I was struck by the fluidity of his generosity - he wasn’t thinking about how much time it was taking relative to a million adventures he could be having on playa or what he would get by giving, it didn’t seem like he even thought of it as generosity at all. He was genuinely enjoying helping me because he could. A couple hours later when he excitedly gave me my bike back to send me off on my next adventure, he didn’t want a thing, so we hugged goodbye and he said “maybe it was meant to be.” I think he was right, experiencing the joy he felt helping a stranger meant so much more than just a working set of wheels on playa.

Now back home with access to the internet, I ran across the article many of us have read about a man that tragically passed away of carbon monoxide poisoning in his car at Burning Man. As I read through the article, the recognition slowly hit me that the person they were describing was him. I couldn’t help but feel saddened by how easily articles like this can reduce someone to how they died - so I wanted to share this story with all of you so you could also know how he lived. I feel so grateful to have witnessed his joy as the true embodiment of Burning Man’s gifting culture, and pray the next time we witness a moment like someone’s exploding bike tire, we seize the opportunity to choose joyous, unconditional generosity.

Drone shot

#burningmangalaxy2019