Coconut Baskets and Cheery Tomatoes -Deep Thoughts

I tried planting some cherry tomatoes this year in coconut baskets. Some things that I discovered:

1. I bought some 12 inch and 14 inch baskets. I tried a couple of 12 inch baskets this year. They were a bit small. The 14 inch baskets look like a better bet.

2. The soil drys too fast. The plants will start wilting by the end of the day even if they are soaked in the morning.

3. I will try using a fabricated plastic liner next year, that and a larger basket should help with the drying problem.

4. I am making some extenders for the porch, the baskets don’t get as much light as they could.

All in all, these baskets work great and look beautiful The fruits provide a surge of flavor when eaten.

Coconut lined baskets?

I have flowers planted in several of these hanging baskets lined with coconut fiber.

I planted the annuals in March and they’re still doing pretty well.

I haven’t tried anything edible because I did think they’d drain too fast.

Yeah, the coconut fiber lined ones. My cherry tomatoes are pretty good. I have like 25 ripening on one plant now, it’s the second wave.

I plan on having 12 plants growing at once.

You might just have to water them twice a day.

But, I bet they are so pretty as well as capable of producing those tomatoes.

They are, especially when the light shines through the leaves.

I still have a crop to pick. Not many, 8 or 9, but enough for a salad.

It’s been hot here, so I still have tomatoes, some peppers and the neighbor’s avocado tree is full. The tree was planted on their side of the fence, but most of the tree grows into our yard.

Lots of avocado available once we start harvesting.

1 Like

Supposed to be right around freezing temps tonight, I picked all of the bigger peppers earlier, need to get the tomatoes still.

1 Like

We were in the 90’s just two days ago, yippee…it’s only in the 80’s today.

:frowning:

That avocado tree sounds great. I have an apple tree that is just starting to give fruit, I think next year it will have a hundred plus apples.

This year it had about 30 apples but I didn’t have an apple picker. A couple of woodpeckers went to town. They don’t seem to do much damage as they tend to work on one apple at a time.

It’s doing ok, but not thriving. I think it needs a lot more water. But the neighbor’s aren’t watering it at all…and we only water it modestly because of our drought conditions.

What kind of apple?

I got it many years ago. I don’t think I would get it now, my tastes have changed. It is a Cortland.

I have gotten some semi dwarf this year as well.