First lettuce planting

Some oak leaf and some mystery lettuce seeds, hopefully they’ll take off in the warm weather.

A guy at work brought in some “cat grass” seeds the other day and was giving some out, saying cats love to eat it. I don’t know what he paid for it, but he looked a little crestfallen when I pointed out that they were only wheat seeds.

1 Like

was it the hippie?

1 Like

No, it was another guy. The hippie wouldn’t fall for that.

1 Like

I’ll ask him when he comes back in whether he’s got stuff planted or not. I would say that he probably doesn’t because we’ve got 5 inches of snow on the ground still.

We just had 4 inches of snow on the ground but it’s supposed to be around 65 today. An old timer told me he plants lettuce starting on valentines day even if it’s just throwing some seeds on top of the snow. I’ve been doing it for a few years now and the first planting usually doesn’t take off real well but it does give me some early lettuce.

Planting can put one in a good mood, it tells you that warm weather is coming soon.:smiley:

I might try something like this on a very small scale.

1 Like

What do they call those hydro things? “rails?” I think I’ve seen people making homemade ones out of the stuff they use for gutters on houses.

1 Like

I think hydroponics is fascinating but I don’t know much about it. I am thinking of making a bed for thirty or forty lettuce plants.

Hydro might be the way to go for a large commercial setup similar to the one in your photo but for something small it’s way too much work and harder to keep stable on a small scale.

You are probably right but if I do it it will probably be more for fun than anything. Still, there is only so much time and a covered bed is probably best.

Hydro stuff does grow faster and bigger I guess if you get what you’re doing dialed in. It would be fun to mess with, for about a week.

1 Like

Cleared off more spots planted a couple kinds of peas, carrots, radishes and pak choi in one, planted more pak choi and oak leaf lettuce in half of another.

1 Like

I can’t believe it’s March already. It’s going to be warm for the next few day as well.:grinning:

Yeah, mild winter overall, I think it was around 60 here today, supposed to be in the 60’s for the next 10 days the last time I looked.

1 Like

WOW 3X! It’s just what I need.:grinning:

What are you going to do with all that lettuce? Seems like it would be hard to store. Doesn’t lettuce go bad pretty quickly?

How come nobody ever grows soybean?

Who wants to eat soybeans?.

We’re probably going to eat most of the lettuce, I generally pick it fresh and just harvest enough for each meal. Once I have an abundance of lettuce and other salad fixings it’s the main course most nights until it gets too warm for it. If I end up with a whole bunch I can take it to a local non profit group and they’ll buy it all and give me close to grocery store price for it.

2 Likes