I often get asked what it's like to be be goofing off on a flightdeck, while other little boats are going by

It’s a lot like this.

1 Like

Unrep time?

Don’t think so, looks like one of those show the civvies how cool the Navy is deals, if you noticed the melange or colors of clothes on the rail, if those were all Sailor Boys the palette would be narrower.

The Navy doesn’t tend to go underway very often in a long line of boats like that, with an announcer announcing. They “meet up miles and miles” offshore, and then we rarely see each other, except when they come to us(us = a carrier) to replenish refuel etc

I saw something like that from the deck of the Lincoln, clear back on her commissioning cruise.

Big fleet replenishment ship on one side, frigate on the other. Coolest show.

On the carrier, we couldn’t feel the pitch at all. On the frigate, the crew was riding it like a bronco, green water over the forecastle. It seemed to be like a carnival ride for those guys.

1 Like

I was on the America CV66, yeah once you got used to the slow gradual “roll” of the boat, you quickly became used to it, it’d take a pretty big storm to move those CVs enough to make you notice…which does happen.

I knew a few guys in the Black Shoe Navy, there are pros and cons to the big boats vs. the little boats as far as being on them, Frigtate and DE guys have to seat belt themselves into bed during a storm. But on the other hand you knew everyone and it was much more family like, where as you know on a Carrier, your in a small city.