Movin on up

I applied for and got accepted for this apartment the other day

But I think I’m going to pass and keep looking and find something better… there’s no balcony, the view is so-so, the windows are kinda small… I think I can do better.

3 Likes

San Francisco near Galileo High School?

Downtown Portland, the budget SF… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I inquired about this one, I’d love to have this place, I’ve thought about living in this building before. I’ve taken photos of the outside of it… 420 this shit has to be my destiny…

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/420-NW-11th-Ave-UNIT-612-Portland-OR-97209/58474840_zpid/?fbclid=IwAR0VQyeKF10Fn1vFxpbe1R8tBm55Wx3VYZ-3IvtlwXOmJqcrJAu6N2YnMHI

3 Likes

I could probably get something newer with more frills, better view etc. but I really love this place and it’s in a nice location in the Pearl District. And it’s pretty cheap for how many Sq feet it is, it’s a studio but it’s a lot bigger than most 1 bedroom apartments and I totally love the stainless steel countertop and wrap…

I declined the first place today but it’s a nice building in a great location, I guess my screening/approval etc. is good for 60 days there.

3 Likes

I looked at this place like a week ago, private condo for rent (by some property management company in lake oswego) its’ super nice and I really loved it but they wanted you to make 4x the rent. I was like I love it but I only make around 2/3-3/4 the rent. They emailed me the other day inviting me to apply. And they’re old school paper, mail in your application etc. so maybe I’ll be the only person who jumps through the hoops.

Of all the places I’ve looked at this place is way bigger around 1050 sq ft and way higher quality… The building it’s in is super nice too, great downtown Pearl District location, view of the west hills.

3 Likes

I took PTO for the whole week after Xmas, so after a half day on Friday I’m off til Jan 3rd… Hopefully I will be moving into this place then. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow another shitshow property management company.

Hi -------,

I really do love the condo and would love to rent it. I do have some reservations though from reading reviews online.

1. I’m not interested in making a deposit to “hold” the property like others stated they had to do in their reviews.
  2. Requiring someone to make 4x the rent is actually illegal in Portland, the max is 2.5x.
  3. No online portal for payments and maintenance requests.
  4. No website for your company.

I really liked “Nancy”, she told me that “Don” was “old school” maybe not in those words. Which I get it, I’m a little old school too… But it’s 2022, having to mail in your rent payment and send a piece of snail mail to a PO box for a maintenance request isn’t really acceptable. I don’t even have paper checks anymore. I would have to go get a money order, maybe go get stamps too, mail it in, it’s just not the way things work these days. What if it’s a maintenance request that requires immediate attention? If sewage is coming up from the drains and flooding the condo I think you’d want to know faster than mailing in a request via snail mail. .

I’ve been building websites for 23 years now. I can setup a mobile friendly website, an online tenant portal for payments & maintenance requests, manage the technical side of things for you. I can also advise you on digital marketing.

If you’re worried about the fees involved with accepting online payments then just pass them on to the tenant as a “convenience fee.”

If you modernized your company to be more tenant friendly which would help your reviews, easier to apply for etc. you would have already rented this place.

I have the application filled out, I can mail it to you with the $50 application fee. I can email you the other documents (I don’t own a printer.)

I would love to meet with you and “Don” in Portland to discuss renting the condo and building out your website.

2 Likes

The description of this place says it has birch flooring with cherry cabinetry and slab granite countertops. It’s all very nice, I really want this place and hopefully I can figure something out with this little property management company. I mean I can make sure to mail my rent in on the 20th or something if that’s what it’s going to take. But it’s still ridiculous. I really love the island on wheels too… and the place is huge… there’s also a full sized laundry room with washer and dryer in the back with lots of storage space.

1500 sq feet is a huge place for a 1 bedroom, very spacious

the management company sounds like they’re working on a 20th century model.

I bet there’s software out there for rentals.

1 Like

I think it’s 1050 sq ft but still way bigger than these other apartments I’ve been looking at which are like 650 sq ft for the same price…

I bet I can find a WordPress plugin that will setup the whole tenant portal pretty easily.

Or there are 3rd party tenant portal companies too. That’s what the last two prop management companies for the place I’m in have used.

1 Like

I think part of that 20th century model too is “oh we’re rich and we don’t give a shit what these tenants think about us” which doesn’t get you very far these days with online reviews.

1 Like

I don’t think “they” understand that though they still have power over average people, it’s not the same as in the past. The power is more perceived than actual in many instances.

1 Like

These are really rich old turds I’m dealing with.

1 Like

One major problem with the market is how many properties are purchased as investment income for Air BNB, which is good for them, but they take units away from long term renters.

3 Likes

One of the apartments I looked at was in the reviews they said the place rents out rooms on an air bnb type site so then you end up with like everyone in your building, guiding the tourists around etc. They’re like I had to pass a background check and all this jazz but now anyone can just rent the place out online.

I think this practice is actually illlegal in Portland metro

1 Like

These buildings are right by my guy’s place and super nice… The Strand…

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1900-S-River-Dr-97201/unit-N902/home/26446688

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1930-S-River-Dr-97201/unit-506/home/181893382

Most of these lower townhouse units have amazing art on display, I walk by them and look in their windows.

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/1900-S-River-Dr-97201/unit-N110/home/25734290

I want the million dollar life.

So I got approved for this condo in the pearl district all I have to do is verify my salary with a letter from my employer. :slight_smile:

From the ghetto to a half million dollar condo… my come up story is pretty good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congrat’s is this the place in the above photo array? Very cool!

My Cousin is digging her north end condo, not sure if she is Pearl or not, but close to it. But she doesn’t get out much because, long term covid.

Do yourself a favor and start putting aside that rainy day fund, best case aim for enough cash, that you could maintain your current lifestyle for at least 6 months if you were out of work tomorrow.

3 Likes

yas