Not So Sure That Oak Would Agree

Oh, OK - yeah, that would be better - it’s like a weird hyper -

The closest I’ve come to Mexican food in the US was fifty years ago, in Limon, Colorado. Even then it was not billed as Mexican food. It was an older downtown diner that served both traditional American food and quite a few “fusion” items.

Around here there are always a few Mexican restaurants that are operated by Mexican-Americans, purveying Mexican food but it’s based on what the operators think Americans expect in Mexican dining. It’s been years since I could go to any restaurant within a hundred miles and get mole of any sort, just to name one example.

In a way it reminds me of Chinese-Americans who open restaurants and have to learn American “Chinese” cooking.

There are some authentic places around here.

Oak, have you been to Mexico Lindo? They might have moved into the trendy category, based on their prices… I was told they used to be authentic

That looks like beef to me.

1 Like

They used to be authentic, they suck now.

To eat sort of “fancy” Mexican food in San Jose, I recommend Zona Rosa. It’s upscalish and a bit of fusion, but the core foods are authentic. It’s on The Alameda near Lenzen sort of in the Rose Garden.

There are two other places I recommend - https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-diferente-loncheria-san-jose. Great food, horrible parking - plan ahead Central San Jose - very working class neighborhood

Adelita’s Taqueria might be a distant 3rd.

There are a lot of Mexican immigrants in California, I think you can find authentic Mexican all over the Bay Area.

I don’t know if this should go hear or under political humor…but what the heck.

3 Likes