That bloody metric system

And I buy a litre of water. That’s a precise measurement.

Your liquor doesn’t make much sense in fl.oz. how much is a pint? Or a 5th? :wink:

A pint is 2 cups less then 1/2 a quart

12.7 fl.oz in a pint

Nope, a pint’s a pound the world around. 16oz

Wonder WTF I was looking at. :confused:

Now you’re into Imperial vs. US measures?

A gallon here in the states is 128 of our own fl oz. A “fifth” of booze (which we no longer make) was a fifth of a US gallon, or 128/5 fl oz…25.6 US ounces, to be precise. Teh modern equivalent is a 750 ml bottle which is nearly equal, but short…only 25.3605 US ounces (but 26.3963 Imperial ounces.) And the US pint is 16 fl oz US. If it’s water, it happens to also weigh pretty close to one of our pounds…1.04375 pounds, to be precise, at 62 degrees Farenheit.

So you see…a lot of our consternation in North America is due to using different Standards rather than being due to the metric system.

Don’t forget furlongs, pecks, stone, and gills.

Oh dear god!

Metric FTW!

No one wouldn’t. What one does is wonder why you imply that being like a German is undesirable.

Hasenfeffer (Sour Rabbit Stew)

“Original German rabbit stew recipe passed down from my great-grandmother who immigrated to US in 1881. This is a lot of work to make but well worth it. It is an acquired taste dish; once hooked, you can’t get enough. Serve with fresh mashed potatoes and celery sticks. Use the stock as gravy for mashed potatoes. Always tastes better as leftovers. Hope you enjoy!”

2 3/4 cups red wine vinegar 3 cups water 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar 8 whole cloves 1 medium onion, thinly sliced 5 stalks celery, chopped 1 lemon, thinly sliced 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1 tablespoon salt 1 teaspoon pickling spice 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup all-purpose flour 1 (2 1/2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces 3 tablespoons vegetable oil Add all ingredients to list
Directions
In a large pot, combine the water, white sugar, whole cloves, onion, celery, lemon, cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, pickling spice and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn off and allow to cool. Place the rabbit pieces into the mixture to marinate. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread flour out onto a parchment or aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flour is a light brown color.
Remove the rabbit from the marinade and pat dry. Strain the marinade, and discard the solids. Reserve the liquid for later.
Heat the oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat the chicken with the toasted flour. Place into the hot oil, and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan, and set aside. If there is oil left in the pan, sprinkle enough of the toasted flour over it to absorb the liquid.
In a jar with a lid, mix 1/2 cup of the marinade with 1/4 cup of the remaining toasted flour. Close the lid, and shake vigorously until well blended with no lumps. Heat the pan with the rabbit drippings over low heat. Gradually stir in the marinade mixture, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
Return the rabbit pieces to the pan. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, or until the meat is falling off of the bones. You may remove the bones prior to serving if desired.

pre·cise
prəˈsīs/
adjective
marked by exactness and accuracy of expression or detail.
“precise directions”
synonyms: exact, accurate, correct, specific, detailed, explicit, unambiguous, definite
“precise measurements”
(of a person) exact, accurate, and careful about details.
“the director was precise with his camera positions”
synonyms: meticulous, careful, exact, scrupulous, punctilious, conscientious, particular, methodical, strict, rigorous
“the attention to detail is very precise”
used to emphasize that one is referring to an exact and particular thing.
“at that precise moment the car stopped”
synonyms: exact, particular, very, specific
“at that precise moment the car stopped”

You see a gallon / 2 is an exact measurement while somewhere between 2.450 to 2.54999999etc is not.

Do you cut pie in 6ths and 8ths or only 10ths?

Poetry After Auschwitz – What Adorno Didn’t Say
Posted on May 21, 2013 by James Schmidt
At the beginning of April, while participating in the defense of an elegant and insightful dissertation on Osip Mandelstam, I stumbled over one of those statements that Adorno never said, but which lots of people think he did: namely, that is was “impossible to write poetry after Auschwitz.” When my turn came to offer a few comments on the dissertation, I pointed out that what Adorno had said was that it was barbaric to write poetry after Auschwitz, not that it was impossible. And then I went on to note that, in any case, he later took it back, conceding that “perennial suffering has as much right to expression as the tortured have to scream.” What I didn’t say (mainly because I hadn’t really thought about it) was why he would retract a statement that he never made in the first place.

Your analysis is inadequately nuanced and poorly reasoned.

What Adorno actually said:

Kulturkritik findet sich der letzten Stufe der Dialektik von Kultur
und Barbarei gegenüber: nach Auschwitz ein Gedicht zu schreiben, ist barbarisch, und das frißt auch die Erkenntnis an, die ausspricht, warum es unmöglich ward, heute Gedichte zu schreiben.

The original quote (always taken out of context and rarely footnoted) occurs in the concluding passage of a typically densely argued 1949 essay, “Cultural Criticism and Society,” reprinted as the first essay in Prisms. It’s a difficult passage from a difficult essay, made more difficult by being wrenched out of context. (One really must read the entire essay to understand the closing lines.)

Adorno would later conditionally REVISE the sentiment, but not really RETRACT it. See his later work “Negative Dialectics” for his re-statement (which, one should be warned, is perhaps even more devastating.)

From the English translation by E. B. Ashton:

Perennial suffering has as much right to expression as a tortured man has to scream; hence it may have been wrong to say that after Auschwitz you could no longer write poems. But it is not wrong to raise the less cultural question whether after Auschwitz you can go on living–especially whether one who escaped by accident, one who by rights should have been killed, may go on living. His mere survival calls for the coldness, the basic principle of bourgeois subjectivity, without which there could have been no Auschwitz; this is the drastic guilt of him who was spared. By way of atonement he will be plagued by dreams such as that he is no longer living at all, that he was sent to the ovens in 1944 and his whole existence since has been imaginary, an emanation of the insane wish of a man killed twenty years earlier. (Negative Dialectics, 362-363)

To quote Brian Oard, “This is a great and terrible passage, philosophy written with Kafka’s ice-axe, history as a nightmare from which there is only one awakening.”

We cut it in 10ths of course to maintain our Canadian figures.

:wink:

1 Like

This poast ^^^ invites the inevitable reply “POAST PICS”

1 Like

I hear Canadian men treat their women badly, and that the native peoples are not treated respectfully.

European history is not the history of the world, Spoon, and there is poetry which has, and always will have, nothing to do with human culture. When the author comments that Adorno’s writing is dense I think one need only look at the source for confirmation.

Happy to oblige…

http://shirlgard.com/2014site/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/French_Apple_Pie-1388-753.jpg

1 Like

Maybe that wasn’t what he meant though some of the boys here do profess to like pie.

As a general rule, I wouldn’t say Canadian men treat women badly. If anything I’d say they are a little too friendly.

Native people are generally not treated respectfully and haven’t been since European settlers showed up.