"This is exactly why here at Boeing we always put more than one motor on our Aeroplanes."

#inspacenoonecanhearyouscream
1 Like

A blonde is on a four-engine plane crossing the Atlantic.

All of a sudden there’s a loud bang. The pilot announces over the intercom “I’m sorry, one of our engines has just shut off. We’ll be delayed 45 minutes.”

Suddenly there’s another bang. Once again, the intercom clicks on and the pilot expresses his regret that they’ll be delayed two hours.

Shortly thereafter, there is third bang and the pilot announces that they’ll be delayed 3 hours.

The blonde turns to the guy sitting beside her and says, “Man, if the fourth engine shuts off we’ll be up here all day.”

3 Likes

I’m calling bullshit on ABC news who just reported this engine failure with the slant that it was another BOEING failure. FFS, the airframe could be as much as thirty years old, but this wasn’t an airframe failure. FFS, the engine could be GE or RR or PW and you can bet those engines were okay when new.

The FAILURE here is on the part of the FAA, which supposedly regulates the inspections and maintenance of these beasts. The FAA is, of course, somehow in the pockets of the airlines.

BD6 used to complain that the FAA allowed Boeing to police itself. At any rate, maintenance is the purview of the plane’s owner, so I’d guess UA or its service contractor is on the hook for this one.

Having worked around Jet Engines, I am a little surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

My understanding is that it’s a Pratt and Whitney.

I think that’s right, and I also understand that it’s one that is prone to come apart up front as this one evidently did, unless it has good maintenance.

One engine works fine:

My brother and I used to bike down to the State Market for these, they were 10 cents each. If we bought them together we had to pay 21 cents because the tax kicked in, so we would buy them separately and I thought we were being all sneaky and lawbreaking for doing it that way.

2 Likes

My buddy went through several of these around the 4th one summer, testing to find the optimal placement and fusing of fire crackers, to launch aerial raids on the dumb girls over the back fence.

You flaming subversives, you.

Hey, i was like 6 years old.