Which is more poisonous, hate or power?

Continuing the discussion from Hope spring's eternal, but hate is easier to sell:

I find it amusing that Sen. Whitehouse (D-RI) used his time in todays hearing NOT to ask the nominee a single question, but rather to use his very public platform to lecture all of us about yet another way we are all fucked. It’s almost a half hour, but well worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcXVKg43qY

Holy shit, friends.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I just saw clips of it on the news. I’m going to watch his entire presentation. Thanks for posting.

Here’s a great 9 min clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBo_T3Kwjc&ab_channel=MSNBC

Sounds interesting…later.

I just watched the whole thing. While I know that dark money is pulling the levers behind the scenes, this presentation made it clear how that happens.

This was revelatory. What can we do?

1 Like

Aside from voting? Sorry, dunno. Resistance is becoming illegal.

1 Like

Well, Ms. ScotusCandidate didn’t seem to know that protest and redress were part of the 1st Am, so…

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, I have seen in some cases where the issue with the most money behind it, does not always prevail in an election. For ex. hypothetically speaking and off the record, Big Serial Killing could spend a billion trillion dollars in advertising and promotion asking for your vote to allow serial killings, and you still might not do it.

Give the people more guns, and inconvenient voting!

Well, I just thought of something. Maybe it’s time to start hosting civics classes around the country for free.

We need to do our part to contribute to a civil society. Citizenship classes in English to citizens.

Could we hold the classes at the Circus?

I’m serious.

I could work on this in the near future.

I know you are definitely on the right track, but right now in the era of Trump I think I become more baffled by the day…I mean that Trump Tax Story last week, poof gone in the wind, no one is talking about that anymore…now it’s “Did Trump nominate Amy because she’s perky and cute?” At least yesterday it was.

I agree, what I’m talking about is grassroots and long-term though.

I’ve watched as so many liberal-leaning people who were all about the Resistance four years ago have simply been worn down by the inexorable pace of the coup, and by the Bannon system of complete chaos that buries the last week’s fuckover under this week’s fuckover. Not to mention, of course, a lot of other heavy brainwashing techniques perfected in the 20th century.

I’m all for grass roots, and I understand that the long term is all we’ve got. However, and I’m not intending to downplay anyone’s ideas for what to do (such as your civics classes) I do think that the coup has progressed to the point where all that will be too little too late, and there is no way to catch up with a well-funded machine that has no trouble finding fresh horses, and that continues to tighten the vise every damn day.

Plus, once somebody has drunk some kool-aid and has a purple ring around their mouth, a public admission that they were wrong and complicit in this thing that probably cannot be reversed… that’s expecting more than most yahoos will be capable of.

1 Like

I know a guy who’s serial kilt 215,000 and still getting significant votes.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too late, it’s never too late. People are waiting hours and hours to vote.

I could be wrong, but the demographics are changing in the country, we need to work to educate these communities.

2 Likes

Without hope, we’ve got nothing.

2 Likes