Have you lived aboard a boat?

I have a wild hair to buy a live aboard.

Anyone here ever live on a boat for longer than a week?

I lived aboard the USS America for close to a year. Wasn’t too bad. One got used to the # 3 Prop shaft that was bent or something so that under power we were lulled to sleep by the steady rhythm of the shaft clanking away.

1 Like

That’s a ship sir. Not a boat. lol

We called it a boat, so did the Navy, and the name of the guys responsible for general maintenance of the vessel are called Boatswain’s mate generally pronounced Bo’suns mate. or sometimes Boats, (Usually an upper NCO or Chief is called Boats.(Yes the word ship is sometimes used) Some say a Ship can carry a boat (lifeboat etc) but a boat can’t carry a ship…but in general, like if I was tired of drinking at the em club, I’d tell my Comrades, “I’m going back to the boat, and probably rack out.”

“Shipmate”

I hear there are two most joyful days in a man’s life.

The first is when he buys a boat.

The second is when he sells that boat.

2 Likes

So, why does a ship carry cargo, but a car carries shipment?

It was mainly all men aboard that ship I take it?

Yes, quite so, many manly men who enjoyed living and working among many other manly men

1 Like

I knew a guy who built his own sailboat and then sailed to the Caribbean with his wife. He spent several years down there, good lobster he said. He came back to CT and spent several more years birthed at a yacht club, eventually he got tired of it.

What experience do you have with boats in terms of maintainence and upkeep?

Why a boat vs an apartment?

I have lots of experience in fiberglass, engine work and a little bit of electrical.

A boat is cheaper with moorage and shore power than an apartment. Even with upkeep.

2 Likes

If you’re not looking to try and one up Paul Allen, I’d think there would be some solid old boats in near abandoned condition sitting in some moorage or other up in your area.That could be had on the cheap.

I’ve got a 35k budget. My requirement is basically a shower and shore power.

Luckily, the moorage I’d be at is next to NAVSTA Everett, which I go to every night to work out. So I would also be spending less on gas. If need be, I shower every night there as well anyway.

What about solar?

Solar power is fake, Trump said so. Besides if there was such a thing it would sap the suns energy causing it to burn out, that would be very bad. Believe me.

3 Likes

I had no idea, really.:smile:

Yeah but you can leave an apartment and not worry that a big storm is going to fuck it up.

Oh, really?:wink:

In my area it’s a bit of a joke. One of my neighbors had his roof solarized. His house is surrounded by trees and it is cloudy half the year anyway. But if it makes one look cool and it is subsidized by ones neighbors…