4/22/1945...Third Army redecorates Zeppelinweise stadium at Nuremberg

film credits at 0:23, sappers appear at 0:33, punchline at 0:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTodK24KG6E

2 Likes

Nobody beat those fuckers by being preachy or nice.

Also, where are all the conservatives that were clutching their pearls and bleating about Neville Chamberlain during the Clinton admin.? Srsly, what happened to them?

I was at NĂŒrnberg on my last trip. Visited Zeppelin field. It was weird to imagine the whole field full of chanting Nazi zombies (unless I’d seen a Trump rally on TV, which I tend to avoid)

2 Likes

I liked the overkill of it. These guys were obviously sappers and not engineers, so they wanted to make sure they placed enough HE up there.

And as usual, the YT comments are worth skimming.

I was at that field in 2011: I stood exactly at the gate that the most evil man in history strutted through on his way to the podium.

My family tells me that I burst into a nonstop string of profanity in four languages that lasted ten minutes. I don’t remember it, but I did feel the chilly ghost of history, one of four places in Germany that I felt it.

(The other three beings would concentration camps and the ski jump venue at Garmish, site of the 36 Winter Games. )

3 Likes

You speak 4 languages? Wow! How many continents have you been to?

1 Like

I’m actually interested in the 4 languages thing, which are they?

But Sappers are Engineers

So are SOF

Sappers are not SOF unless they’re a 18x Engineer or serving in the Ranger Rgt

Not what I recall a couple buddies say. But things are always changing so who knows.

You may be confusing TO&E nomenclature with actual training.

In WW2 (and in VN also) the S-word was applied to people with varying levels of demolition training. In the Nam era, Navy divers who were UDT certified (underwater demolitions technicians) were truly well trained in the use of various methodologies and explosives. But in an engineering company, the primary work was civil engineering and some structural work, not demolition. When combat engineer troops were given a demo task they were considered sappers but I don’t believe it was a primary MOS or that any training they had was more than cursory.

Yep. Just a school like the Ranger tab.

But a Ranger tabbed individual is not SOF unless they’re in the Ranger Rgt.

For reference, you don’t need to be Ranger tabbed to be in the regiment. But it is a requirement to be an NCO in the regiment.

Makes sense, nowadays we have strict Combat Engineer where their entire job is route clearance, building bridges and explosive means.

For the record, I was a Combat Engineer for a little bit. It was a blast :slight_smile:

By chance I just ran into a local pal at the hardware store who was an Army engineer officer, retired about 25 years ago at O-6, and runs a consulting company on water quality that (oddly enough) does a lot of pricey business mostly with the DoD. :grimacing: And yes, the landscaping at his house is VERY spic n span.

So I asked him, and he said the sappers in that instance he understood to be either grunts or tankers. If they had been combat engineers, he thinks they’d have had access to an engineer officer who’d have given them good orderly direction. He had actually seen this video, years ago.

Sounds like there’s been a lot of chance of responsibilities and restructuring since then.

As a Combat Engineer, every officer in my company was an Engineer
 we all wore a castle. Our main mission was route clearance via mechanical and explosive means.

I was only an Engineer from E2-E3 so I couldn’t tell you had the BDE was set up.

This is the entire enlisted field for Engineers as of today

That’s interesting. Lots more specialties than in my time. My CO for half my tour was an engineer O-4 who was rotary wing qualified, filling an O-3 slot. Many of our pilots were over-rank for the TOE, even platoon leaders who were in O-2 slots were CPTs or MAJs. Lowly CPTs even filled CWO slots.

You might be interested in looking for info about the building of Camp Radcliff in An Khe province, which the 70th Engineer Bn started in August 65. When we arrived there a month or 5 weeks later, there was a LOT of work undone which had to be done by our troops in succeeding months (and also sometimes by paid indigenous labor under guard.) My unit was able to use the field (the Golf Course) immediately in late Sept but it wasn’t really in a finished condition until nearly Christmas. A description of its size etc. is here

In the Navy, until recently (Like maybe 10 years) the Navy didn’t have a “Rating” for the Seals, as you know the navy differs from the Army/AF and even Marines in your Rank is based on your Seniority in your given field ie ‘Cook Chief Petty Officer’ etc The Seals did not Have their own “Rate” so the Seals of old had to not only be Seals and Train on avg. 12 hours a day doing Seal shit, you also had to study in some Job Classification you only knew by name, a lot of the Seals used to Switch over to Bosun’s Mate which is kind of like the Ships Handymen, they spend their careers chipping paint off of ships and then putting it back on, so the rank tests are less scholastically challenging than say an Electronics Technicians would be.

I know a couple SEALs, one is an old fart and one is new
 he was amazed that the new guy has a Trident in his rating area.

SEALs have more time to do cool guy stuff now as a result.

1 Like

English, Spanish, orcish, and a little German.