92 was a good life. Rest in peace, Darcelle XV. Walter Cole, 1930-2023, Queen and Portland icon

Darcelle was an institution in Downtown Portland for decades anybody and everybody would make the pilgrimage to check it out, if you were a hotshot Attorney working in an aerie of “Big Pink” you probably were prolly there several times.

Literally anyone and everyone would make atrek to Darcelle’s at least once…many would go often, it was all light hearted modestly ‘risque’ fun, nothing really dirtier than you might seen on a TV Variety show, except it’s all Drag Queens vamping it up a bit.

2 Likes

From a Portland area musical performer, he and his wife had couple early MTV music hits as Quarterflash

When I got a call from Don Horn of Triangle Theatre asking if I’d co-write a song with him for his musical, ‘Darcelle: That’s No Lady", I didn’t hesitate. Darcelle’s life story (Walter W. Cole, Sr.), had deeply inspired Donnie, and Darcelle had helped put our Trail Band Holiday show ‘on the map’ in the 90’s when she appeared as a guest star and brought down the house for 9 sold-out shows at the Aladdin (Darcelle loved being costumed as a lit-up Christmas tree fittingly created by mi amiga, Marychris Mass). To this day, folks mention how much they loved Darcelle’s appearance. Don gave me some lines from his script and I added some lyrics of my own. It had a simple but elemental message: that you can only find true happiness in life by accepting who you are. Walter/Darcelle lived a courageous, theatrical life full of childhood tragedy, laugh-out-loud broad comedy, and gentle, caring pathos. When I started writing the song I felt it needed a root chord that captured concurrent joy and sorrow - and making it a waltz gave it a hint of old-fashioned tipsy burlesque. Upon finishing it, Don invited us to Walter’s house to show it to him. Rind and I were nervous as we sat down to play it for him in his kitchen. He teared up during the song, loved it, and it became part of Triangle’s very successful musical starring the brilliant Kevin Loomis in the title role. We subsequently threw together a very rough demo recording for the musical director - using Rindy’s phone to record it… and today, thinking of Walter’s passing, we felt we should share ‘As I Am’ with our friends. It’s just a rough demo but we’ll always treasure the memory of playing it for Walter like this as he sat there in his kitchen smiling… visibly touched by his own life story wrapped in a song. (photo by Beth Nakamura, Oregonian staff)