Backpacking food

The freeze dried Mountain House camping meals are gross… I think these Knorr sides will be way better, tried the cheddar broccoli one last night and it was ok, better than the freeze dried stuff. Just bring them to a boil in 1 and 1/3 cup of water and let it sit for 10min. This is for more than one trip.

I need to figure out how to dehydrate or buy dehydrated black beans then I could make like the Spanish rice one and throw some beans in there and make burritos…

2 Likes

We used to use Knorr sides as actual sides. They are LOADED with salt. Maybe you need extra salt when you are out on strenuous hikes, but I don’t recommend them for regular meals.

4 Likes

I feel ya, probably ok on the long hikes cause you sweat it out, maybe even good but yeah…

2 Likes

I get those Knorr products once in a while, for the convenience

1 Like

The freeze dried camping meals are gross, expensive and they’re loaded with sodium too…

2 Likes

They aren’t even necessary. Also, you can relax a little on these hikes, the Knorr’s are OK I think.

Did you remember dental floss? :grin:

1 Like

I’ve heard some of that freeze dried stuff will fill you up with methane

1 Like

Speaking of food…

It’ diner time

1 Like

Unless you’re in Europe, you’re on Early Bird dinner schedule, ya old fart.

1 Like

He’s in bed by 5:30…he needs time to digest his dinner.

2 Likes

According to Fletcher (peace be upon him), if you soak dried beans for an hour or so (*), they’ll cook up nicely in about twenty minutes. I’ve done this and it works.

(*) put the beans and water in a covered pan at your last rest break before dinner, and Fletcher (pbuh), be careful in hoisting your pack back on.

3 Likes

Some hikers just cook their ramen and stuff in a pouch they keep down in their crotch to heat it. Cold soaking they call it… that way they don’t have to carry a stove or cooking pot lol.

1 Like

Gooooooooooooooood Morning Vietnam!!!

3 Likes

For the drive up, or the drive home a hot meal

Or Dudette!

1 Like

The theory is that the company that made the crotch pot made it as a joke and then it was so popular they never revealed it was a joke.

I’m noticing this hiking stuff is like its own special type of drug addiction… I realized I’m pretty junked out on it after I saw the water I poured out that I filtered the other day and after spending probably $1500 on gear in a couple months. I dream about hiking all night lol.

3 Likes

That approach would piss me off.

Yeah, but your rice would have that nutty aroma that is so desireable.

2 Likes

some people would have free cheese :nauseated_face:

I’ll try it. My 15 dried soup bean mix says to soak the beans overnight but maybe that’s not neccesary. :slightly_smiling_face: