Backyard 2015

Just getting started… spliced together landscape photo so some of the perspective is a little off…

Garden on the left… just planted peas along the fence, lettuce in the first raised bed part of it which will get potoatoes planted in it later, the second one has a row of peas that don’t get very tall, spinach and lettuce on the side you can’t see, in the back, that bed will get peppers in it later, I’m probably going to plant some melons or zucchini and then some tomatoes along the fence.

Raised beds, first bed (I’m going to move the trellis to a new bed soon) carrots, broccoli, spinach, swiss chard, and lettuce. Second bed, lettuce right now, will be peppers. Ground patch in between beds, half onions, half alfalfa, second raised bed, half heirloom lettuce and half some other type of lettuce and 1/4 pak choi. Bed in the ground in the back behind the last raised bed, Kale and lettuce, will probably make this all kale…

A frame trellis, I have some peas and swiss chard planted there right now, I’m thinking I’m going to plant some pole beans for the trellis soon. New small bed to the right of it has some swiss chard planted in it.

The back patch is pretty big but you can’t really see it, I just have some arugula growing back there right now and it’s doing really well. I’ll have a bunch of tomatoes back here and probably some melons and other things.

Next to the house I have a bunch of onions and a huge oregano plant and what will be a nice row of swiss chard down the side of the house.

Plans… building some more beds this week, one long 8ftx2ftx10inch bed for cucumbers and I want to build a small strawberry box and a small box for herbs.

I’d like to eventually get as many spots and beds as I can in the yard and then start getting rid of the grass in between them with cardboard and wood chip mulch. I doubt if that will happen this year though. It’s filling in but I still have a ways to go… on the front right I plan on putting in some raspberry bushes and stuff like that, I already have a tiny raspberry bush over there I got on sale last fall and one that didn’t make it.

2 Likes

Good god man, you’re a gardener!

Looks pretty barren right now but it will be rocking and rolling later on this year… I’m just setting it all up, then the plants will grow themselves.

It my be surprising to you guys but I do not have a green thumb. Some people have it, many do not.

I don’t really do anything special! I think that’s kind of the key.

I found a bunch of these in the woods not too far from the house. I think I might try them tomorrow. They’re really fresh.

They’re called watermelon mushrooms around here because they smell like watermelon. I’ve never tried them. The hippie kid at work says they’re good if you make them like chicken. Or I might pick them and give them to him.

1 Like

Most people will eat anything beer battered and fried… I bet you could sell people beer battered dog turds at the state fair and they’d think they were delicious.

Well only if it was Cocker Spaniel turds

That would be fun to do in reality. Sell it as some newfangled health food or something. They already drink cat shit coffee.

1 Like

Just make sure they have lots of ketchup to dip them in.

Someone’s gotta help you dig…

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/11/15/brazil-sentences-cannibal-sect-to-lengthy-prison-time-for-human-filled/?intcmp=obinsite

São Paulo (AP) – A jury in northeastern Brazil delivered sentences of 20-23 years in prison for three people convicted of killing two women, eating parts of their bodies and using some of their flesh to make and sell stuffed pastries, a court official said Saturday.

I moved 9 posts to a new topic: Weed Makes People Do Craaaazy Things

No one has a green thumb starting out. It takes learning and a bit of elbow grease.