Brit writer describes his impression of Trump

(https://londondaily.com/images/20/06/r-2evkeztztbn.jpg)

British Writer Pens The Best Description Of Trump I’ve Read

Nate White

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’ If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.

#Donald Trump

COMMENTS

Add comment

Frank L. 21 min ago

Being an American and someone who loves Britain and all they have given the US, your description is absolutely spot on. I’m glad that you understand that the majority of US citizens find him repulsive and embarrassing. He is not fit to be a mayor of a small town let alone our president.

Syrus Se7en 22 min ago

The part that rational, functional people sometimes miss about Trump is that his grotesque, repulsive behavior is seen as giving permission to some of the worst in American society. Trump has made indecent, immoral people believe they no longer have to hide in the shadows. These people now feel empowered to be their most reprehensible selves for all of us to see. The legacy of Trump will be the destruction of basic civility, and possibly, American democracy.

Dennis LaRosa 32 min ago

Your observations are short, pithy, insightful and very scary. We are the same age. He is perhaps the worst American president ever. I don’t write that. I don’t think your thesis can be topped but I encourage you and others to try. I actually wanted to cry at the end, because it was too true. Thank you for your spot-on comments. TTFN.

Tammy 56 min ago

As an American I thank you for finally describing him perfectly!

Matthew Duncan 1 hour ago

As an American, i noticed an elegant characterization of a witless troll, but understand that the gentleman’s rules of never punching down has been applied to those 30% of US Americans who are, in fact, the electricity that feeds this frankensteinian white slug. This would be humorously dismissable if it were not for the glaring flaws it has revealed in our electoral proccess. That 42% could nearly win is terrifying and embarrassing. But, i never lost faith. Our core ideals, honor, duty, lawfullness are being shown in great splendor with the 91 felony charges. Eventually all of the stain of trumpism will be cleaned and sterilized, subcutaneous injections and all, and we will again be that bastion of hope, freedom and good will.

Victoria Willson 1 hour ago

This truly is Trump wrapped up in a nutshell, thank you for sharing. May I please share this too?

John 1 hour ago

Apt description. I think the point many miss about many of his cult like followers is that his flaws pale in comparison for their hatred of a strawman built in their heads by decades of Fox news and Rush Limbaugh. They hate that imaginary image so much that the mouth pieces today can make any outlandish claim and they believe it.

Eugene Hayman 2 hours ago

American here. Please believe me when I tell you that many of us have been as surprised and disgusted as anyone by this whole Drumpf debacle. A third of our families, friends, and acquaintances have joined a fascist political cult. Who knew?

Anabanana 3 hours ago

It’s a beautiful description of a man to whom that word has never applied. Living in NY and working in NYC for almost 40 years, I got to know 45 before he ever hit DC. He was always a flashy, trashy, publicity hog,-- loud, poorly spoken, and silly on a good day.

His published discussion of the Central Park Five was shocking and terrifying. Trump is an example of what happens when you take all of the lowest forms of behavior demonstrated by humans and jam them into a single, hideous container. As others have said, he’s so embarrassing that most of us can’t imagine being in the same room with him, let alone voting for him.

It’s been a sad time for America these last few years, and it may not be over.

John Dillworth 4 hours ago

From Anthony Citrano on Twitter in 2020: “It’s almost impossible to believe he exists. It’s as if we took everything that was bad about America, scraped it up off the floor, wrapped it all up in an old hot dog skin, and then taught it to make noises with its face.”

View all comments (6400)Add comment

NEWSLETTER
RELATED ARTICLES

[

Here’s Why They Must Prevent Trump from Regaining the Presidency

](Here's Why They Must Prevent Trump from Regaining the Presidency - London Daily)

[

Paper straws found to contain long-lasting and potentially toxic chemicals - study

Paper straws contain potentially toxic chemicals which could pose a risk to people, wildlife and the environment, a study has found.
](Paper straws found to contain long-lasting and potentially toxic chemicals - study - London Daily)

[

US president Joe Biden fall asleep during his meeting with victims of the Maui fires in Hawaii

](US president Joe Biden fall asleep during his meeting with victims of the Maui fires in Hawaii - London Daily)

[

Joe Rogan has said: No one can win Trump

Joe Rogan has said: "With Trump… unemployment was down. Business was booming. Regulations were being relaxed. More things were getting done. When you look at it from a policy …
](Joe Rogan has said: No one can win Trump - London Daily)

[

FTX’s Bankman-Fried headed for jail after judge revokes bail

US District Judge Lewis Kaplan on Friday revoked Sam Bankman-Fried’s bail, after finding probable cause that the indicted founder of the bankrupt FTX cryptocurrency exchange tam…
](FTX's Bankman-Fried headed for jail after judge revokes bail - London Daily)

[

Blackrock gets half a trillion dollar deal to rebuild Ukraine

BlackRock, JP Morgan set up ‘reconstruction bank’ for Ukraine.
](Blackrock gets half a trillion dollar deal to rebuild Ukraine - London Daily)

[

Congressman alleges that covid was “pre-planned by an elite group of people. Event 201”.

US Congressman Ron Johnson has made notable claims suggesting that the outbreak of COVID-19 was ‘pre-planned by an elite group of people’ and cited ‘Event 201’ in his remarks. T…
](Congressman alleges that covid was “pre-planned by an elite group of people. Event 201”. - London Daily)

[

These UFO claims are out of this world

Fox News host Laura Ingraham reacts to shocking details about UFOs on ‘The Ingraham Angle.’
](These UFO claims are out of this world - London Daily)

[

Criminals are treated as victims, and victims are treated as criminals

Can’t make this up! Stockton convenience store owners who put the beat down on a would-be-thief in viral video are now under investigation for assault!
](Criminals are treated as victims, and victims are treated as criminals - London Daily)

[

Zoom, which helped millions work from home during the pandemic, is requiring employees return to the office

Employees who live near a Zoom location must be on-site two days a week, a company spokesperson said. A “hybrid approach” is most effective for Zoom, she said, because it will b…
](Zoom, which helped millions work from home during the pandemic, is requiring employees return to the office - London Daily)

1 Like