Cheap ultra light backpacking setup

To keep the weight down you might get some foil packaged tuna or salmon. Check out crystallized lemons(True Lemon.) This is new to me but I think that there are a lot of possibilities. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not sure Cindy needs to watch her weight so much, especially with all this hiking. Calories are good in this case.

You and I, on the other hand…

3 Likes

I agree with you except that in this case I meant the weight of the provisions. Also, I was wondering how many calories she will be burning on the hike…3 maybe 4 thousand? Maybe I should do a little hiking as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think Cindy is learning and researching all things hiking and being off the pavement.
But you’re right, weight and balance of the pack is an important concern, so good call.

1 Like

I went hiking yesterday on Mt Hood, fuck it was hot… after I had enough after about 4.5 miles I got off the trail and walked back til I found a nice spot to camp and private enough to run around naked… plus a short distance to a water source to refill, the mountain water tastes great btw. I wanted to camp at this lake but there wasn’t really anywhere to camp, no shade and the bugs were fierce… the bugs were fierce period… and then it got cold as fuck last night.

Here’s one of the streams I filled up at…

I setup camp at this lake first with this view but had to pack up and go, it was too hot and too many bugs. Plus I was kind of worried that the lake could rise in the middle of the night from all the snowmelt yesterday. I saw some streams rushing hard on the way up.

back to civilization…

stolen car down the street from me…

4 Likes

And yes I feel like I’m losing weight fast, my pants are getting loose, I packed on the lbs at this sit down job. Plus I’ve been walking almost a mile every morning too… morning walk. Also s I’m not eating a lot when I go hiking. The tuna packets were already on the list. I had some peanut butter, some tortilla chips and some local pepperoni sticks that are very filling but I was still starving when I got home, still kinda am.

I’m just testing my gear and trying to get in shape for some real adventures. Plus I’m replacing some bad habits with healthier ones… less cocaine, more hiking…

5 Likes

When you are pushing yourself physically like you do on a vigorous hike (or bike ride in my case) you can consume an amazing amount of calories, and not gain weight.

2 Likes

Sometimes I do afterwards but not really. I’ve been eating less especially around days I do these hikes. I was starving when I got home, not a lot to choose from in the fridge so I made a grilled cheese… That’s all I’ve had today… gonna bbq some chicken though.

2 Likes

I wanna do this Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park this summer but I’m gonna need a warmer sleeping bag…

2 Likes

Do you have a good pair of sturdy hiking boots?

They are probably worth the investment.

I bought a pair but they hurt my feet… I’ve been wearing an old pair of skechers, I’m going to look for a hiking shoe instead of boot.

2 Likes

Upgrading, I bought one of these tents, this small tent company Durston Gear has a large cult following it seems and people were waiting to get these tents not too long ago.

And a large lightweight backpacking backpack.

https://www.backcountry.com/granite-gear-crown-2-60l-limited-edition-backpack

1 Like

At this point I’ve replaced a lot of the really cheap stuff I started with, backpack, sleeping pad, and tent. I’ve really honed my gear down to just some essentials but I try to be comfortable too, bigger tent, large sleeping pad… my setup is lightweight, until you add 3 liters or more of water… at 2.2lbs a liter. If there are a lot of water sources you can get away with carrying less and filling up more often, but water sources can dry up, particularly when a glacier is almost gone. But as I get more physically fit this should become easier to pack around.

I have removed the cap/brain which probably takes a small amount of weight off the backpack.

I bought a little rocket camping stove off Amazon for $10 that is lightweight and folds up very small but you have to carry around a fuel canister 8oz. I like my little twig stove but there has been a fire ban all summer so it’s not really feasible.

I didn’t end up going backpacking yesterday and glad I didn’t cause of wildfire smoke from Canada today but I was going to leave my gun at home, it’s just too heavy to pack around and I can’t see myself needing it.

My current gear list…

Backpack - Granite Gear Crown 2 60L
Tent - Durston Xmid 2
Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Neoair XTherm Max
Sleeping Bag - cheap down sleeping bag $100 off Amazon, light weather only getting replaced next
Inflatable pillow, I think I paid $15 on amazon, it’s lightweight, attaches to the sleeping pad, not the most comfortable in the world but works.
Nitecore 25UL Headlamp I think is the model… works great for night time.
Anker 20,000mh or whatever it is power bank
Sawyer Mini Water Filter and bag
3 - 1 liter smart water bottles
isobutane cook stove - small micro stove and 8oz fuel canister
Toaks 1100ml Titanium pot with lid. (Fuel canister fits inside)
poop kit - toilet paper, small thing of hand sanitizer in a ziplock and small plastic shovel/trowel to dig the hole with that I store separately.
A pair of Columbia gloves.
pair of $50 black diamond trekking poles
Warm liner of my Columbia winter coat, which I should probably replace with an expensive down jacket.
I take my light rain jacket shell if there’s any chance of rain at all.
stocking hat to keep my head warm if it gets cold at night
A small ziplock with a few toiletries, toothpaste, brush, etc.
Another ziplock that’s more the emergency kit with bandaids, ibuprofen, patches for the mattress pad, extra bottle caps, extra lighter, some duct tape wrapped around the lighter, rolling papers etc.
lightweight tent stakes.
thermal underwear for sleeping
a pair of slides that i need to replace with a lighter pair of cheap flip flops for wading across streams.
a small lightweight plastic cup to measure water
a couple bandannas which come in handy for all sorts of things
50ft or so of thin rope/line that’s designed for like 300lbs…
Extra pair of socks which I’ve never changed into, considered leaving but it would suck if your feet got wet and you didn’t have another pair.
Weed bag with about a half oz of weed, small glass pipe.

Food bag containing food in a dry bag that I can hang, you want lightweight food not a bunch of water weight. I take instant rice, some pepperoni sticks, a few protein bars, tuna pouches, a little chocolate, I usually take a few pieces of bread in a flimsy tupperware and have a tuna sandwich, salt and pepper and you need some sort of electrolyte replacer. I also like to flavor the water with these caffeine zip fizz things.

oh and I got a cheap aluminum plate out of a cheap coleman campset… I bought it just for the flimsy plate, should have just gotten an aluminum pie pan.

2 Likes

Did you forget a compass? :grin:

That’s the pioneer spirit. lol

There’s an app for that

1 Like