Cheap ultra light backpacking setup

I already had the backpack, I bought a small tent that’s like 2lbs 8 oz’s, a light sleeping bag for mild weather. And the backpack is mostly empty still for food etc. You can tell you’re packing stuff but it’s not terribly heavy.

Small tent 2lbs 8oz
Sleeping bag 1lb 4oz
Sleeping pad less than a lb
Trekking poles
tent light
rain jacket
light hoodie, lightweight hiking pants and extra socks in the yellow bag with the sleeping bag
tent light
power bank to recharge my phone
toiletries and some first aid stuff
knife
small scissors
tweezers
weed papers, light plastic grinder and extra lighter
extra guy lines
a couple carabiners with rope
bug spray
sunscreen
3 dry bags, the yellow bag is the largest with the sleeping bag and extra clothes in it.
small plastic shovel in case you gotta dig a small hole to poop in.

I will be adding at least one tarp, maybe two… that aren’t here yet. I need one to put under the tent for a footprint. I might bring a second to rig up as a shade and/or extra rain protection.

3 Likes

Will you have room for water?

Yeah the backpack is mostly empty and I have a liter on the side, plus I have a filter so I can refill at streams. I usually carry a couple liters.

3 Likes

Good call on the filter, bears do literally shit in the woods, along with every other creature.

Giardia and cryptosporidium can be a problem.

3 Likes

Extra batteries? Space blankets, water purification gear there’s a nasty parasite you need to be aware of, not common around here but I do hear about it occasionally

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/giardiasis/prevention.html

3 Likes

I just got the basic water straw filter setup to start with.

2 Likes

I dated an extremist hiker and we would camp out in the boondocks like I had never experienced after squatchin in the PNW. We would eat MREs that we bought from ROA and he had a small hiking burner we could heat one cup of boiling water on at a time. He would build a fire while I made dinner and it was wonderful…

Until he wouldn’t let me bury my toilet paper in the wilderness. Then he had to go.

This is one of our many adventures… but we didn’t camp this time. Just sightseeing and fishing ~

2 Likes

4 Likes

lol I’m burying the toilet paper but I will look for some unbleached toilet paper to take hiking. Beautiful picture.

I think I might go up on Mt Hood tomorrow.

3 Likes

Updated Gear List

Small tent 2lbs 8oz
Sleeping bag 1lb 4oz
Sleeping pad less than a lb
Inflatable Pillow about 8oz I think, light…
Trekking poles
tent light
rain jacket
light hoodie, lightweight hiking pants and extra socks in the yellow bag with the sleeping bag
power bank to recharge my phone
toiletries and some first aid stuff
knife
small scissors
tweezers
weed papers, light plastic grinder and extra lighter
extra guy lines
a couple carabiners with rope
bug spray
sunscreen
3 dry bags, the yellow bag is the largest with the sleeping bag and extra clothes in it.
small plastic shovel in case you gotta dig a small hole to poop in.
some duct tape I unrolled from a big roll and made a small flat roll of.
toilet paper - made my own roll without the tube, stored in a zip lock.
A small container of dawn dish soap the only “biodegradable” soap I have.
A few paper towels
A bandana for whatever

I clipped the yellow dry bag with the sleeping bag onto the side of the pack to make the side pocket of the pack accessible, to store a second bottle of water in. I took the extra clothes out of it. I have another set of those bags coming in the morning and will use one for extra clothes, one for food and one for weed. The water is what seems to add the most weight to the pack.

Food… trying to figure that out still… I will probably make a Peanut butter sandwich or two, I have like a lb of really good local pepperoni that’s very filling if you’re hungry. Maybe some lightweight carbs like some tortilla chips or something and some sweets. I’m not going to take tons of food. I might overnight at best this time. Not sure where I’m even going yet.

2 Likes

Trail Mix, nuts, seeds raisins etc

2 Likes

Food? Cooking and eating utensils? Heat source? Fuel?

1 Like

I’m gonna get a little backpacking cookset eventually but I haven’t ordered one yet. My friend she will cook meals. I need to get another setup for her and I to go together like a 3 person sized ultra light tent that we can split up carrying, bigger cookset etc.

I missed the boat today, I have some packages coming I want to be here to get, and I realized I didn’t have nearly enough weed to be doing all this so I walked to the weed store, pretty hot out already here… gonna wait and leave early in the morning tomorrow.

I met this guy a couple weeks ago, he was starting the PCT trail, he was really nice. I couldn’t tell what he looked like cause he had a big hat, sunglasses a bunch of gear but I friended him on facebook. I’d go hiking with him lol. :

2 Likes

add a small tube of antibiotic ointment if you don’t have it.

3 Likes

I always pack a small pair of pliers.

4 Likes

and something for Poison Oak/Ivy (Calamine Lotion is Mom’s old standby) you might look those up to see what they look like.

“Leaflets 3, Let it be” Cub Scout Handbook on P. Oak.

I’ve always thought a Leatherman Multi-Tool would be good for off gridding,

Located in NE PDX out by the Airport.

I have been reading all these suggestions and I suggest that you get a couple of burros. :grin:

1 Like

She’s not hiking in Tijuana, ya soft headed dilettante.

1 Like

They’re not worth the effort. Cranky, stubborn beasts.

1 Like