Digging in the dirt

Digging up new spots for my tomatoes, basically holes in the lawn about 5 gallons in size, then I’ll sheet compost around them with cardboard, straw and leaves.

So here’s what I’ve noticed with plants, beyond anything else, what makes the biggest difference in how well they grow is how well and how deep I work the soil…, it’s like a vagina, the more you put in the more you’ll get out of it. So I put a lot of work in this time of year working the soil and getting it ready to plant. The easier the plants can grow their roots the more they can put towards growing on top.

1 Like

Yes, well cultivated soil will yield much better results in the garden.

1 Like

The peat moss might be exactly what I needed for parts of my garden. I just added most of a bale to a big spot and it’s working up really nice… still needs worked in a little better and the big clods of clay need broken down a little more but it’s looking like exactly what I need, nice loose rich soil. $7 a bale, cheaper than building a raised bed.

$7 dollars for a bale of peat moss?

That’s cheap! Here a cubic foot is about $12-13 bucks…what a ripoff.

These were on sale for like 6.98 when I was there the other day.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/lawn-plant-care/2-cf-sphagnum-peat-moss/p-1509487.htm

It’s 3 cu feet for $12.97 here

lol…I love the vagina analogy. lol.