Garden 06-03-2015

2 Cardinals, a male and a female have been hanging out in the yard every day, one was out there when I took the camera out.

Tomatoes I killed my foot digging holes for… black rabbit guards around the bottom… anybodies opinions as whether or not I should I remove these before they get too big to slip off, anything wrong with just leaving them on?

I buried some logs and did a Hugulkultur (sp?) mound for some watermelon, cantaloupe and some pumpkins, then I put in a patch of corn and there’s a few zucchini starts at the end. I’ll probably plant some more basil around the tomatoes and maybe some more marigolds at the end.

I like these 7-8ft I think they are plastic coated metal stakes, I bought all they had at Menards. Might try to get some more, they might be tall enough. They’re as tall as I am after they’re in the ground.

1 Like

Where’s crazybob to go manic about cardinals?

I am just getting serious about putting some plants in.

You might consider putting in some sunflower plants for the Cardinals if you like having them around. I do, its nice to see their color when things are winter bleak or snowy.

Nice - I never saw a black rabbit -

I dunno - on er off would matter

New box I made out of cheap pine, beans, carrots and cucumbers.

Some lettuce

Potatoes underneath the pile

1 Like

Well done - our stuff is not doing so hot - lotsa fucking rain after no rain and chilly nights

Thanks, same shit here.

You really do have a beautiful garden.

:grinning:

great cardinal pic. Sigh, I totally miss our garden back in Michigan.

Snacking on some peas, I could crack these open all day and eat the whole row, they’re that good.

Fresh picked peas, fresh picked asparagus, two of my favorite things.

I started some asparagus seeds, haven’t planted them yet, right after they sprouted though I saw this guy posting that 4 years after sprouting his asparagus seeds, he was finally eating asparagus. lol

Wow. It takes that long? I was just thinking asparagus would be awesome to plant. It is always so expensive to buy in the stores here.

Yeah from seed anyways I guess, I think there might be a way to plant the stalks from the store though that might be quicker.

Never mind. Supposedly the zone I live in is too hot for asparagus anyway.

The modified black containers around the bottom of the tomato plants worked great for keeping the rabbits off the small starts, because they’ll eat them up if they can, didn’t lose a single one. I think they’re scared of the black buckets in general.

I’m thinking I’ll leave them on and put some coffee grounds inside them and maybe around the rim, which are supposed to be a slug deterrent, slugs don’t like to travel over coffee grounds. On another note, I saw this year that marigolds attract slugs and last year I had a row right on top of 5-6 tomato plants that got ravaged. So I’m thinking Marigolds off a little bit away from the plants to act as a trap type crop is probably best.