Garden Update 06-30-2014

I took these earlier, it has been raining a lot, the garden is kind of weedy where I haven’t mulched and I need to mow. It’s also hot as fuck out, around 90 degrees today. The heat and the rain has been really making stuff take off and bust out.

Here’s the peas I’ve been eating on…

Green beans, starting to flower (a couple have green beans on them.) And a monster kale plant I left in the ground, that thing is huge and I don’t think it has bolted yet.

Peppers… 52 pepper plants if I remember right.

A lot of them are starting to put on fruit, what eats holes in leaves like that? Slugs? I’ve seen it in a few places, the bugs have been a little bad with all of the rain.

Tomato patch, the bushier ones have been in the ground the longest, and they’re really starting to pack on the tomatoes, the others have a few on them and are getting ready to take off.

I’m thinking I should have some ripe ones soon. When the tomatoes in the first pic below ripen I’m having a BLT.

These cucumbers are starting to take off too. I used the plastic buckets to help guide them up the trellis and block them off. I think they’re 2 gallon buckets, I’ve got a line on some free ones, I’ve got about 50 of them so far. I’ll have at least 200 by next season for my tomato field.

Your garden is doing so well. It’s beautiful and bountiful. Your tomatoes look great!

It rains every night, it just rained again tonight, it was raining this morning. Then it has been getting hot and sunny during the day. The tomatoes and cucumbers seem to love it, the peppers maybe too but I’m thinking it might be a little wet for them but the raised bed and good drainage helps. I’ve noticed bottom rot on a few new tomatoes and have added a lot of lime to the soil around them and in some compost tea and it seems to have taken care of it.