Garden Update 7-09-2014

San Gabriel foothills about 15 miles NE of where I was living. Away from the crowds, but not in the boonies.

Anyway, we’ve been moving leisurely for a few weeks now, but the big move starts tomorrow and we intend to be completely in our new home by Friday afternoon. Needless to say, I’ll probably be AWOL from here for a week or so.

Here’s a view of the hills from my front yard.

Here’s half of my house. Couldn’t really take a full pic without standing in a neighbor’s yard and I don’t know really know them yet.

1 Like

We have always gotten along very well from the time when we were on Farmer’s board.

You have the right last name for it.

It’s really nice to have a fenced in backyard like that. I don’t and it is the biggest issue that I have. I just bought some 6’ black vinyl fencing. I am going to use my house for one of the walls.

Did you ever get rid of your slug issue.

I like the bushes around the back of the yard and parts of the side. They kind of create their own privacy fence that’s better than a privacy fence really. I just wish they were raspberry bushes or something that produced some fruit. Maybe some bushes that grow crazy like that would be a better option than a fence. Hell if you were nearby I’d let you come dig all you wanted up.

I haven’t noticed much leaf damage lately, I think the little bit drier weather took care of the slugs.

Looks like a nice neighborhood, can you grow your medical weed in the backyard?

Congrats. That’s awesome!

LOL. I could call them Bud’s Buds.

My bf was watching his roommates’ dogs while he was on vacation. He’d play fetch with one of the dogs, who is very rambunctious in play. Once in a while this giant rubber ball would hit the redwood fence.

The neighbor came over one day (happens to be from the Bronx I come to find out) when we were in the front yard doing some gardening. He’s really super intense and says that the bouncing ball is going to damage his fence. We kind of look at him blankly and the bf says “sure, I’ll be more careful”.

A week later he comes again, this time the bf’s in the back yard and Todo is kind of running up on the fence with the ball. I’m inside and answer the door.

There he is all tense and shit again. Like seriously, wtf? Chill the hell out, I’m thinking.

So, he starts to tell me about how my bf doesn’t seem to get the message and he’s concerned about the fence being knocked down. See, I kind of know redwood fencing, it doesn’t just fall down from a rubber ball bouncing off of it a few times a day. I finally told him so. Yeah, so you know it’s expensive. Sure, but it is redwood and they don’t fall over from a ball bouncing. However, if it bothers you so much…I explained the dogs just playing…I’ll tell him again. I say. But he back off a bit when he got a bit of resistance from me.

So, I tell roommate that owns the house when she gets back from vacation…“Oh he’s from New York, the Bronx actually…they seem to be kind of uptight about everything. The hell with him.”

What is with people from there?

I am planning something like that but I will need the wire fencing( for a part of the yard) for three or four years anyway. I know where I can borrow some raspberry bushes.

There’s chain link behind the bushes, all that stuff costs a fortune these days!

I got a good sized roll of used chain link fencing today and some large heavy duty fence type pieces, one is like 8’x4’ and and a few more that are a bit smaller. Looks like it might have been some sort of enclosure for something.

@LittleRambo1 most of the bushes in the back are Hibiscus bushes, they look nice a month or so a year when they flower but they’re almost an invasive species. They do make a nice privacy fence though and I bet they grow really fast.

1 Like

Maybe some really shitty parents used it to keep their retarded kids penned up.