Happy Juneteenth

It’s time this nation stops pretending our past is so rosy. We haven’t been cleansed of our original sin.

2 Likes

Don’t you think that it is an insult to saddle Blacks with a holiday name that is based on illiteracy?

Huh?

It would sound more dignified to call it Freedom Day or Emancipation Day.

Juneteenth sounds too cutsipie in my humble opinion. :roll_eyes:

It’s over, you can call down now over telling Blacks the appropriate way to celebrate.

3 Likes

‘The origins of Juneteenth date back to June 19, 1865 , when Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, a U.S. Army officer and Union General during the Civil War, issued an order in Galveston, Texas, announcing that all slaves were free under the Emancipation Proclamation.’

'Gordon Granger (November 6, 1821 – January 10, 1876) was a Republican, career U.S. Army officer, and a Union general during the American Civil War, where he distinguished himself at the Battle of Chickamauga.

Let’s not pretend that the Republicans then are anything like the Republicans now.

2 Likes

Interesting that you focused on what it was called. Anything to avoid discussing the actual problem in America at the time.

2 Likes

I always considered slavery to be abhorrent. I am glad to see that you agree with me. :grin:

Speaking of which, do you remember the Great Democrat George Wallace? :roll_eyes:

Yes, I remember Democrats before Nixon’s southern strategy as well.

1 Like